Computer System Requirements
To participate in PCC Online courses, students are expected to be familiar with computers and the Internet. Students are responsible for their own software and computer equipment maintenance and setup.
- Access to a modern computer system with a supported operating system (OS) installed.
- An ISP (Internet Service Provider) and a modem or other device capable of connecting to the internet.
- If your download speed is greater than 256 kbps, your internet connection should be sufficient for taking online classes at PCC, though we recommend faster connections.
- If your download speed is less than 256 kbps, you may want to consider upgrading your internet connection or finding a faster internet connection elsewhere (possibly at a campus, public library, etc). If a faster internet connection is unavailable to you, you may find it frustrating to take your online courses.
- An internet browser installed on your computer. If you are not using one already, we recommend that you download one of the recommended browsers.
- A word processing software program, such as Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, or Google Docs.
- Current Virus software that must be installed and kept up to date. Learn more about the importance of virus protection.
- Multimedia plug-ins may be required to allow your browser to access online video, or interactive features.
Class Specific Requirements
Your class may have other computer or software requirements, such as a sound card and speakers are required for some courses. Please check the course information page to see if your class has other requirements. You can find a link to the course information page, via the online schedule.
The following are optional tutorials to enhance your skills. Each tutorial opens in a pop up window; to return to the orientation when you are finished, simply close the window.