Sylvania Student Learning Center
Casual, Work-Study, and Volunteer Positions
- Location: Sylvania Library 140
- Phone: 971-722-4540
- Coordinator: Kellin Thompson
- Office Lead: Shani Ong
Winter hours begin Monday, January 8.**
- Monday – Thursday: 9 am – 7 pm
- Friday – Saturday: 10 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: Closed
*The center will be closed on 1/12, 1/13 and 1/15.
** Finals week hours begin the week of 3/19.
English and Math self-paced classes
Take English Skill Building or Math classes for 0, 1, 2, or 3 credits at your own pace with the help of our Lab Instructors.
English Conversation Groups
Improve your English speaking and listening skills. Everyone is welcome! Come join us in Library, Room 144 (SLC Conference Room), during any of the following meeting times:
- Tuesdays from 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm with Micheal
- Wednesdays from 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm with Elise
Begins Week 2 and ends the week before finals. Students may join these groups at any time on a drop-in basis. Groups are most appropriate for students at ESOL Level 4 or higher.
English Conversation Partner Program
Meet one-on-one with a conversation partner. Come visit to find out more!
- If you are a non-native speaker (and a PCC student) who would like to improve your English speaking and listening skills, just drop in to work with a volunteer. Volunteers are available on a first-come, first-served basis, according to the posted schedule in the Student Learning Center.
- If you would like to volunteer as a Conversation Partner for non-native English speakers, please fill out a volunteer availability form and submit it to Shani Ong.
Free Academic Success Workshops
|Tips for Building Vocabulary||LIB 144||Friday, Jan. 19||10 – 11 am||Elizabeth Wilson|
|Writing the Scholarship Essay||LIB 144||Friday, Jan. 19||11 – 1 pm||Jennifer McBratney|
|Basic Sentence Structure||LIB 144||Friday, Jan. 26||11 – 12 pm||Sophie Bridges|
|Finding the Main Idea||LIB 144||Friday, Jan. 26||12 -1 pm||Elise McLain|
|Sentences and Fragments||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 2||10 – 11 am||Nancy Bennani|
|Using Commas||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 2||12 – 1 pm||Nancy Bennani|
|Learn How to Type! Introduction to Typingclub.com||LIB 138||Friday, Feb. 2||12 – 1 pm||Nerva Pfund|
|Writing a Professional Email||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 9||10 – 11 pm||Elizabeth Wilson|
|Adjective Clauses||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 9||12 – 1 pm||Elise McLain|
|Beginning the Writing Process||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 16||10 – 11 am||Claudia Hutchison|
|Essay Structure||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 16||12 – 1 pm||Claudia Hutcison|
|Adverb Clauses||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 23||10 – 11 am||Elise McLain|
|Conditionals||LIB 144||Friday, Feb. 23||12 – 1 pm||Eric Nelson|
|Word Choice||LIB 144||Friday, Mar. 2||10 – 11 am||Maria Martin|
|Pronouns & Prepositions||LIB 144||Friday, Mar. 2||12 – 1 pm||Maria Martin|
|Times for Timed Writing||LIB 144||Friday, Mar. 6||12 – 1 pm||Bonni Goldberg|
|Paraphrasing||LIB 144||Friday, Mar. 9||12 – 1 pm||Elise McLain|
Please see our Be.Better.Prepapred.Math.Workshop handout for more information on math specific workshops.
Contact Heiko Spoddeck, ALC Math Instructor for more information.
- Learning Math is Different – understand math as a subject
- Resources video – know and utilize the resources that are available to you
- Time Management – find time for studying, homework, and the rest your life
- Effective Listening & Notetaking – make the most of your time in class
- Homework – make the most of your homework
- Studying for an Exam – find out how studying is different from homework
- Math and Test Anxiety – learn strategies for managing your anxiety
- Working With Your Math Textbook – use your math textbook effectively
- Watch PCC’s instructors explain topics from MTH 20, MTH 60, MTH 65, and MTH 95. They are good!
- KhanAcademy: (all math) Excellent videos, but you can also login and practice. Important: You do not have to go through every practice, you can pick and choose.
- HippoCampus: (MTH 20, 60, 65, 95, 111) Excellent videos, many from Khan Academy, but they are more closely related to our courses. However, the topics are not in the same order.
- CoolMath: (MTH 20, 60, 65, 95, 111, 112) Good and flashy 🙂
Websites recommended by students
- Statistics Symbols with definitions and formulas
- Math, Statistics, Set, and other symbols with definitions and examples
- For those who use R in their Statistics class, here are some websites to help you learn how to use R:
- A comprehensive site that covers data generation, data files, statistical operations, and graphs
- A page describing R probability distributions. (R Web is not available to PCC. Paste statements into an open R window instead)
- A set of tutorials on R
Calculator Support Sites
English Skills resources
Contact Laurel Spillum, ALC English Skills Lab Instructor for more information.
- Texas A&M Writing Center
- Figurative Language (Wordplay/Better Writing Language): Flocabulary
- How to Write Better: Writing Tips on Voice, Tense, Perspective, Cliché and Wordiness
- Introduction to English Composition: Educator.com
- The Ultimate Introduction: Intro to Online English Video Lessons
Grammar & Punctuation podcasts
- Apostrophes: Online English Video Lessons
- Capitalization: Online English Video Lessons
- Comma Usage in Clauses: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Commonly Confused Words:
- Contractions & Homonyms: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Degrees of Comparison for Adjectives: Texas A&M Writing Center
- ESL Countable & Uncountable Nouns: Online English Video Lessons
- Hyphens & Dashes: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Misplaced & Dangling Modifiers: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Passive & Active Voice: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Prepositions: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Pronouns: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Punctuating Coordinating & Subordinating Sentences: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Punctuating Restrictive & Non-Restrictive Modifiers: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Quotation Marks: Texas A&M Writing Center: Dialogueuotation SemicolonSemicolons vs. Other Punctuation: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Simple, Compound, & Complex Sentences: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Special Cases in Subject-Verb Agreement: Texas A&M Writing Center
- Verbs: Texas A&M Writing Centerrbs
Grammar & Writing
- CCC Foundation-Guide to Grammar & Writing
- Daily Grammar
- Dave Sperling’s Grammar Page
- Grammar, Vocabulary and Punctuation Links
- Jack Lynch’s Grammar & Style Notes
- McGraw-Hill Online Learning Center
- Purdue Online Writing Lab
- BBC: Learning English
- CNN News
- Study Guides and Strategies (See “Guides: Reading and Research” section)
- Townsend Press Learning Center
Communication & Pronunciation
Please give us your feedback by filling out our online feedback form.