MTH261 Applied Linear Algebra I
Covers elementary linear algebra with a focus on n-space and applications. Includes linear systems, vectors in n-space, vector space properties of n-space, and matrix algebra, including eigenspaces. Required: Matrix-capable calculator. Recommended: TI-89 Titanium or Casio Classpad 330. Prerequisite: MTH 252 and (WR 115 and RD 115) or IRW 115 or equivalent placement. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide.)
This page includes filtered results. See all available sections for this class.
- you will need the CRN to register.
- many classes have additional fees.
- classes marked with $0 or <$40 use low cost materials. Cost does not include art supplies, calculators, fees, and equipment.
- Class type:
- in-person: remote: online: hybrid: ( or )
|CRN||Location & type||Days & time||Dates||Seats available||Materials||More info||Sign up|
|21683 Canceled||CA C. TBA||MWMonday and Wednesday|
from 9 to 11:20am
|Canceled||Not applicable||Textbooks for CRN 21683|
Tuition: credit Fees: $40
Course details: CRN 21683
The only technology we will need for the course (aside from Zoom) is easily availabe using a reguar web browser.
Please feel free to email me any questions you may have about the course. I'll try to answer some ahead of time below.
During remote learning, class will start out with a warm-up discussion. Then we will have a discussion of some new linear algebra topic(s) for most of the class session. I will take notes on screen, and my hope is that we discuss it as a class more than I lecture that content to you. For the last portion of class, I'd like you to dive in to homework exercises, and use that time to talk with me and classmates about any obstacles you are hitting.
Attendance during the remote session is required unless there are obstacles for you. For example, if you have childcare needs, or your internet connection cannot support a Zoom connection. If you cannot attend a class session, there is no need to explain to me why you missed it. Just please watch the video recording of the class session whe you are able to and send me a note that you did that.
Outside of class, there will be homework exercises on WeBWorK. These will mostly be simple skill practice exercises. There will be a few exercises that I ask you to write up formal explanations for and turn in electronically thoruhg D2L.
The exams will have a WeBWorK component. There will be an additional component that either happens on paper (and you submit it electronically), or in one-on-one meetings with me. The details will depend on what the class enrollment is like, since one-on-one meetings may be too much if the class is too full.
Web course information
- No show policy
- Your instructor can mark you as a "no show" if you do not participate in your class during the first week. This will remove you from the class. It is important to log in as soon as the class starts to see what the participation requirements are.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities taking Web based classes please visit the Disability Services website.