Examines musical cultures throughout the world with attention to cultural contexts and musical styles, including but not limited to Africa, the Americas, Asia, Near East, Europe and the South Pacific. Prerequisite/concurrent: (WR 115 or IRW 115) or equivalent placement. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide).
- you will need the CRN to register.
- many classes have additional fees.
- classes marked with $0 or <$40 use low cost materials. Cost does not include art supplies, calculators, fees, and equipment.
- Class type:
- in-person: remote: online: hybrid: ( or )
|CRN||Location & type||Days & time||Dates||Seats available||Materials||More info||Sign up|
From June 22 through September 5, 2020
|Textbooks for CRN 34737
Julia L Banzi
Tuition: credit Fees: $20
For information, contact the department at 971-722-7010 (Office) or 971-722-7869 (Dept Chair).
Course details: CRN 34737
Proctored exams and activities:
There are no proctored exams and activities.
Other in-person and on-campus activities:
There are no other in-person and on-campus activities.
I have located a FREE Textbook from the publisher for you ! Login with PCC credentials to: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/pccol/detail.action?docID=957665
Above link does not include the listening units, but students have found the listening units online on YouTube but that is your responsibility. Just do a search for "World Music: A Global Journey" on You Tube.
Miller, Terry E. and Andrew Shahriari. "World Music: A Global Journey" Routledge Publ., New York: ISBN, 9781138911277 4th Edition. The book includes 3 complete CD’s for listening units of music. Make sure your book includes the listening units and they work well or locate them on YouTube as outlined. You will need them for the class.
Welcome to MUS 108 "Music Cultures of the World."
I am Professor Banzi. I will be your guide this semester to help you to learn about the rich and varied music cultures of the world.
We will travel around the world this quarter!
Through this course we seek to encounter, in a thoughtful and intentional way, something of the complex world of musical action and interaction in contemporary social life -- the cross-section of musical domains which infuse our world and which we may understand as "soundscapes."
I look forward to being your guide to music cultures of the world!
Web course information
- No show policy
- Your instructor can mark you as a "no show" if you do not participate in your class during the first week. This will remove you from the class. It is important to log in as soon as the class starts to see what the participation requirements are.
- Web & Remote Teaching Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the quick guide to Online Learning technical requirements.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities taking Web based classes please visit the Disability Services website.
- Web Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learning:
Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learning. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes.
The Start Guide is not required for Hybrid or Remote Courses but strongly recommended. To learn more, go to https://www.pcc.edu/osg