Examines principles and practices of effective leadership. Explores strategies for developing organizational visions, communicating with clear meaning, developing trust through collaboration, creating the learning organization, and sharing leadership through empowerment. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide).
- you will need the CRN to register.
- many classes have additional fees.
- classes marked with $0 or <$40 use low cost materials. Cost does not include art supplies, calculators, fees, and equipment.
- Class type:
- in-person: online: hybrid:
|CRN||Location & type||Days & time||Dates||Seats available||Materials||More info|
From January 6 through March 21, 2020
|Textbooks for CRN 10280
Daphne C Wu
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
Notes: 971-722-6147. $20 fee.
For information, contact the department at 971-722-6031 or 971-722-6148 or 971-722-6147 (Dept Chair).
Course details: CRN 10280
- MSD 177B - Coaching Great Performance
- MSD 142B - Thriving in Transition
- MSD 157 - Conflict Management
- MSD 177 - Team Building
- No show policy
- Your instructor can mark you as a "no show" if you do not participate in your class during the first week. This will remove you from the class. It is important to log in as soon as the class starts to see what the participation requirements are.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the quick guide to Distance Education technical requirements.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- Web Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learning:
- Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learning. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes. To learn more, go to http://www.pcc.edu/osg
Online publisher materials
Online publisher materials
We are using two books:
1. Soul, Salsa and Spirit: Leadership for a Multicultural Age, by Juana Bordas
Publisher: Berrett-Koehler Publishers; 2 edition (March 26, 2012) $10-17 used.
2. The Leadership Challenge by James Kouzes and Barry Posner, Jossey Bass publisher, 2016 (6th edition). $20-27 used. Note: No need to buy the ebook version. The PCC Library has it available- see below.
It's a popular book that you might be able to pick up in a commercial bookstore. Make sure you have the current fifth or sixth edition. Older editions won't work for the course because the authors make many changes in each addition.
As an alternative, you can use the ebook through the library. The library link is:
These books can be used by an unlimited number of users at once online, sections can be printed (though different books have different limitations), and they can be downloaded for offline use for limited loan periods.
Proctored exams and activities:
There are no proctored exams and activities.
Other in-person and on-campus activities:
There are no other in-person and on-campus activities.
Technology is pretty simple for this class. It includes some YouTube videos and numerous web sites, including the Leadership Challenge website.
You may choose to use the electronic version of one of the textbooks.
You will share resources found via the PCC library online as well as on the web. You will use a minimum of 4 resources in completing a project or paper.
Find out if you are or can be a leader. Take a look at leadership through a multicultural lense. Learn to use a growth mindset when facing challenges and the unknown.
Prepare to move your leadership effectiveness up a notch or two through discussions and activities. You''ll examine key leadership actions and attitudes, strategies for self-motivation, and you''ll develop an action action plan to build your skills.
The following 1-credit courses are excellent ways to expand your interest in an aspect of content covered in this course:
Please visit class schedule for course details. www.pcc.edu/schedule/default.cfm