GRN235 Intro Dementia Care
Focuses on issues related to the care of older adults presenting behavioral and cognitive challenges, using a person-centered, person-directed approach. Introduces students to assessment, treatment and care of persons experiencing dementia, problematic mental health conditions, and the dying process. Recommend: WR 115 and RD 115. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- My name is Nancy Heckler, and I teach the Introduction to Dementia Care course here at PCC. GRN235 is designed for students with prior experience or training in basic care and dementia care. It is an online course, consisting of lecture materials, readings and videos, discussion posts and a final project.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Course Prerequisites None. Required Text(s) Harris, P.B. (2002). The Person with Alzheimer's Disease: Pathways to Understanding the Experience. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press. Snyder, L. (2009). Speaking Their Minds: What it's like to have Alzheimer's. (Revised Edition). Baltimore, MD: Health Professions Press. Thomas, W.H. (1996). Life Worth Living. Acton, MA: VanderWyk & Burnham. Verity, J. & Kuhn, D. (2008). The Art of Dementia Care. Clifton Park, NY: Thomson Delmar Learning. You will also choose one book from a different list to read and write a book review on. The list of books is available through the PCC Bookstore, but you can purchase the book you choose from any vendor (not just the PCC Bookstore).
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- Web Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learners:
- Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learners. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes. To learn more, go to http://www.pcc.edu/osg
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||25096||-||30-Mar-2015 thru 13-Jun-2015|
Instructor: Nancy T Heckler
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Sylvania