MSD177B Coaching Great Performance
Centers on how to effectively work with people in a helping relationship. Introduction to coaching and gaining hands-on experience being and working with a client. Coaching helps clients examine the way they do things as well as what they do. Build your coaching skills by focusing on five key principles of coaching: coaching listening, powerful inquiry, creating choice, balance and fulfillment. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- This class is designed for people who are or will be in positions of leadership, supervising and/or managing people in the professional and business communities. In business and in life coaching, the coach challenges his or her clients to set goals and move forward. In a coaching relationship, the coach and client are equal partners, but the client is the expert. Therefore in coaching, we make the powerful assumption that our clients are both capable and resourceful in determining their next steps. I adhere to the philosophy that 'the coach has the questions and the client has the answers!' (Academy for Coach Training). What I often find in new coaches is the tendency to want to offer suggestions, advice, or direct their clients. All of this takes power away from the client and weakens the coaching experience. New coaches will hone their reflective listening skills in this class, practice asking open-ended questioning strategies, and learn to hold clients accountable for their intentions. In addition, students will gain clarity on their key life values by completing a 'Life Plan,' an activity I require from the clients I coach. Lastly, students will apply what they are learning each week by actively coaching a client. Skilled coaching can generate enthusiasm and confidence in clients who have lacked direction or needed accountability. * It is important to note that this course is not intended for someone who is seeking to gain further skills in athletic coaching.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- * The ability to read, write, and converse in the English Language * The course is designed for professionals in leadership positions who will be supervising individuals
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||21847||-||05-May-2014 thru 06-Jun-2014|
Instructor: Tim N Alexander
Notes: Class dates 5/5 - 6/6 online. $20 fee.
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Extended Learning Campus CLASS