Canceled: MTH60 Introductory Algebra- 1st Term
No textbooks required
Open educational resources (OER)
The following free or inexpensive materials are used for this class:
Details about this class
Hello! I have been teaching mathematics for over 27 years at the high school level and over 16 years at the community college level. My teaching style is fairly traditional. I will begin class by going over any questions students may have from the previous lessons, then cover the new material. I encourage you to ask questions and participate during the lessons but I will not force you to participate by calling on you to answer questions. I know math isn't everyone's favorite subject and many of you may feel uncomfortable trying to do math in front of other people so don't worry about it. I am usually in the classroom about 20-30 minutes before each class so if you would like some individual help, those are basically my office hours. Also, I encourage students to email me whenever they have questions about the material and I will get back to you as soon as possible. We will be using D2L which will allow you access to notes, quizzes, study guides, and your current grade.
Your grade will be based on five categories:
- Attendance (1%): You will be marked as absent if you arrive more than 15 minutes after the class begins or leave more than 15 minutes before the class ends.
- Homework (4%): Your homework will be graded based on trying all of the problems. You must check your own answers from the ORCCA odd answers page. Each section is worth 5 points. If you only skipped 1-2 problems, you earn a 5. If you skipped a few more, you earn a 4. If you did a little more than half, you earn a 3. If you did a little less than half, you earn a 2. And so on.
- Quizzes (10%): You will have a quiz for each homework assignment. I will pass them out at the end of each class. If you are absent, you will need to to either download and print the quizzes from D2L or just copy down the quiz problems from D2L. Quizzes are to be done individually and are due at the beginning of the following class. You may use your own notes for quizzes but nothing else.
- Midterms (60%): There will be two midterm exams during the term. I will allow you to make up one midterm on the class meeting before the final exam for a better grade if you chose. If you are absent during one of the scheduled midterm days for any reason (illness, lack of transportation, vacation, etc.), the midterm that you missed must be the midterm to be made up on that day. You will not be allowed to make up any others. Notes are not allowed for the midterm exams.
- Final Exam (25%): A comprehensive final exam will be given on the last day of class. Notes are not allowed for the final exam.
Scientific calculator (I recommend the TI-30XS).
Online class information
- No show policy
- Your instructor can mark you as a "no show" if you do not participate in your class during the first week. This will remove you from the class. It is important to log in as soon as the class starts to see what the participation requirements are.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities taking Online based classes please visit the Disability Services website.