SOC204 Introduction to Sociology
Open educational resources (OER)
The following free or inexpensive materials are used for this class:
Details about this class
Hello!!! If you are reading this, you may be wondering if “Introduction to Sociology” is the right class for you. Here’s some information that may help you decide...
- Sociology is a social science that focuses on society, the institutions that humans create and the social causes and consequences of our behavior. In this class, we will explore some of the topics that sociologists study and consider the ways in which sociological research compares and contrasts with our own lived experiences. We will be covering subjects like crime and the criminal justice system, the sociology of gender, race and racism, economic inequality, the media and popular culture….just to name a few.
- My goal as a teacher is to create an inclusive learning environment in which everyone feels welcome and supported. I value the diverse perspectives and experiences that students have to share...your input is encouraged and appreciated.
You may be wondering about the participation requirements for my class. Here’s some information on that:
- This class is taught remotely. We will be meeting weekly on ZOOM for lecture and class discussion (cats may make an occasional appearance). These meetings will also be recorded so you can review them later if you have to miss a class.
- You will need to access D2L Brightspace each week and participate in an online discussion board.
- There will be some short writing assignments throughout the term.
- All materials for this class are available free of charge online. We are using an online textbook that you can view here: https://openstax.org/details/books/introduction-sociology-3e
- You do not need to purchase a physical copy of the textbook but if this is your preference, they are available at the PCC SE Campus bookstore
I hope to see you in class. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some things you will need to participate in the class:
- Internet service to access D2L Brightspace each week.
- A device that will allow you to participate in our weekly zoom meetings.
Online class information
- No show policy
- Your instructor can mark you as a "no show" if you do not participate in your class during the first week. This will remove you from the class. It is important to log in as soon as the class starts to see what the participation requirements are.
- Online & Remote Teaching Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the quick guide to Online Learning technical requirements.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities taking Online based classes please visit the Disability Services website.
- Online Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learning:
Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learning. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes.
The Start Guide is not required for Hybrid or Remote Classes but strongly recommended. To learn more, go to https://www.pcc.edu/osg