SOC204 Introduction to Sociology
- CRN: 41447
- Credits: 4
- Locations, days, times, and instructors:
- Online, Available 24/7
From September 26 through December 17, 2022, Jamee Kristen
- Online, Available 24/7
Details about this class
Course No Show Policy
In order to make sure we're all on the same page starting the course, students are required to complete a course information quiz by Tuesday night (11:59 pm) of the first week of the term. Anyone who does not complete this quiz at 100% by Tuesday night will be dropped from the course as a "no show."
But, don't worry - you can do this! The quiz covers only the syllabus and course calendar. You can look up the answers in the syllabus or course calendar as you take the quiz (it's open-book!). It's only 10 multiple-choice questions. It has no time limit and you can retake it as many times as you need to in order to earn 100%. Once you get every question right, you'll have have completed the quiz and will have access to the entire course.
This course is entirely web-based. There are no required Zoom sessions or "on campus" expectations.
You will need reliable access to the web in order to use D2L Brightspace. You will also need to buy access to a low-cost online textbook and homework system from FlatWorld. The required text is Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World, Brief Edition v3.0 (2021) by Steven E. Barkan. The ISBN: 978-1-4533-3831-5.
The text is under $30 if you buy access directly from FlatWorld. I'll provide direct FlatWorld link for purchasing on the first day of class. It is $10 more to purchase through the PCC bookstore, but it is available there also. In addition to this eBook and the homework system offered by FlatWorld, you will need to access various other websites, read uploaded documents, and watch assigned videos.
Online class information
- No show policy
- Your instructor can mark you as a "no show" if you do not participate in your class during the first week. This will remove you from the class. It is important to log in as soon as the class starts to see what the participation requirements are.
- Online & Remote Teaching Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the quick guide to Online Learning technical requirements.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities taking Online based classes please visit the Disability Services website.
- Online Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learning:
Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learning. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes.
The Start Guide is not required for Hybrid or Remote Classes but strongly recommended. To learn more, go to https://www.pcc.edu/osg