Phi Theta Kappa - Alpha Eta Iota Chapter
Sylvania CC102 | 971.722.4361
About Phi Theta Kappa
- Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) is the oldest and most prestigious honor society serving two-year colleges with an approximate membership of 1.5 million individuals across the United States and worldwide. Its purpose is to recognize and encourage academic excellence among students of two-year colleges. It also aims to promote individual growth through programs that provide leadership training,continual scholarship, fellowship among scholars, and service to the community. These are the hallmarks of Phi Theta Kappa.
- Alpha Eta Iota is PTK's local chapter located at the Sylvania Campus of Portland Community College. Chartered in 1981, the chapter has won numerous accolades and continues to strive for the coveted Five Star Chapter Award. Among its ranks, several members have served as regional officers. It is part of a larger network of chapters that belong to the Rocky Mountain-Cascade Region. Its purpose is to further the ideals of PTK among PCC students by participating in local events, fundraisers, seminars, and conferences. A member of the Alpha Eta Iota chapter shall be duly recognized as an honor student and a PTK scholar.
- The Greek words symbolizing phronimon (Phi), thumos (Theta), katharotes (Kappa) mean wisdom, aspiration, and purity, respectively. The society's colors are blue for scholarship and gold for purity.
- Recognition. All members of Phi Theta Kappa may wear the Golden Honor Stole and Tassel, Honor Cord, and Key Medallion during their commencement ceremony. They may also affix the Society's Gold Diploma Seal to their two-year college diploma and have their membership noted in their transcript. Members automatically become nominated for the National Dean's List.
- Scholarships. More than $36 million in transfer scholarships are available to Phi Theta Kappa members. Other two-year college scholarships such as the Leaders of Promise and the $1000 Coca-Cola Scholarship are available. For the latest information, visit the Phi Theta Kappa International Headquarters Scholarship Page. Our newest and biggest resource for scholarships and transfer assistance has been CollegeFish who has brought together counselors, advisors, administrators and scholarship partners to assist you with planning for the future.
- Recommendations. At the request of the member, Phi Theta Kappa headquarters will send a letter of recommendation to college admission counselors, scholarship committees, or potential employers.
- Online Resources. Members can "Get Connected" to take advantage of great offers, discounts, and a host of online benefits. They also get an a chance to win a $500 scholarship just for accessing the site.
- Paid Travel. Active members in the Alpha Eta Iota chapter have a chance to have their airplane and hotel expenses paid to participate in International, National or Regional conferences.
- Leadership. Members have numerous opportunities to serve as chapter, regional, or even international officers. Leadership training is also available to them through seminars and conferences.
- Benefits. Visit our Benefits page to get more details.
All PCC students are invited to attend our general meetings and participate in our local events. Alpha Eta Iota would like to invite all qualified individuals to join PTK and enjoy the privileges that come with membership. Our meetings currently happen at:
PCC Sylvania Campus, SS Building, Room 108 every Friday from 1:00-2:00pm.
Some benefits include:
Who Are We?
We are the Alpha Eta Iota Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for Two Year Colleges. Our chapter serves Portland Community College's Sylvania Campus.
The mission of Alpha Eta Iota Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at Portland Community College shall be the promotion of scholarship, the development of leadership and service, and the cultivation of fellowship among qualified students of this college as well as in the community at large.
Phi Theta Kappans participate in several gatherings each year, with the international convention generally held in early to mid-April. There have been a total of 90 international conventions for PTK. International conventions take place in different areas of the United States each year.
Nerdnation - Orlando, Florida
At the international convention, Phi Theta Kappans recognize achievements by members in "Hallmark" areas of Scholarship, Leadership, and Service. Elections for the five international offices are also held at the international convention. Also judged are entries for other various categories, including dignified chapter officer, president, advisor and outstanding member of the year. Colleges from around the U.S. set up in the "marketplace" to attract new students and workshops fill the days with extensive leadership training. World renowned speakers such as Al Gore, Jehan Sedat and many others have provided inspiration for the 3,000-4,000 members that attend this outstanding yearly event.
"Copyright © 2012 Phi Theta Kappa. All rights reserved. None of the official Phi Theta Kappa logos and emblems may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Phi Theta Kappa. Phi Theta Kappa has registered the name, logo and various titles herein with the U.S. Patent Office."