Admission to the Medical Laboratory Technology Program
The Medical Laboratory Technology program generally accepts 20 students each year. The program begins fall term at Cascade Campus. Students are selected based on a competitive point system. For information on how to receive points, see the advising guide. Please check your PCC email regularly during the admission process. All communication related to your application and admission will be done through your PCC email account.
When to apply
Students with the same number of points will be accepted in the order their completed application was received, so apply early.
|Term you want to start||First chance to apply||Deadline|
|Fall 2019||January 14, 2019||April 5, 2019|
Complete prerequisite classes
The following prerequisite classes are available at Portland Community College. If you believe you have met the core requirements of any of these classes at other colleges, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your transcripts "unofficially" evaluated to determine completion of requirements. Your classwork may need to be evaluated by the Department Chair as well, before you will be advised on whether your previous coursework meets PCC class requirements.
- WR 121 - English Composition
- MTH 95 – Intermediate Algebra
- CH 104, 105 & 106 - Allied Health Chemistry (will also accept CH 221 - 223)
- BI 121 & 122 – Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology (will also accept BI 231-233 or BI 211 - 213)
- MLT 199E or MLT 110 - Introduction to Medical Lab Technology (will be titled MLT 199E winter term 2015 and MLT 110 all subsequent terms)
All prerequisite classes must be passed with a grade 'C' or above by the end of summer term. You will submit your application by April 5 but we will not make final admission decisions until spring term grades post and we check enrollment for final prerequisites for summer term. Any prerequisites in-progress summer term will get points for a C grade.
Receiving admission points
- Students will receive admission points for grades in all prerequisite classes except for Writing, two short answer essays, two recommendation forms and experience working and volunteering in five different areas.
- For detailed information on the point system used for admission see the advising guide.
- Students will be ranked in order of points and time of application, so it is to your advantage to get your application in early in case your points put you at the cutoff for admission. Often a student has the same points as a student entering the program, but will miss the opportunity to join the program because of a late application.
- See the Medical Laboratory Technology Application for more information on the format used for documenting experience and the recommendation forms required and what counts as public service.
Complete application for admission
- Complete the application online and send the Recommendation Form link to two people you choose to recommend you for this program. They will follow the link and complete the form. Applications are accepted January 14 – April 5, 2019. The application and both recommendation forms must be submitted for the application to be complete. Please do not submit the application prior to January 14. Applications received before January 14 will not be date and time stamped until the end of the day January 14. Applicants who have applied in the past must complete a new application in order to be considered for admission. Please do not submit your application before the first day of admissions.
- Include unofficial transcripts from colleges/universities you have attended other than Portland Community College.
- You do not need unofficial transcripts if you have had your transcripts officially evaluated by Student Records, and your transcripts are on file with PCC.
- If you are currently enrolled in coursework at another college you must provide proof of enrollment with your application listing any required classes that are in progress. Your grade for this class must be received in admissions within one week after the grade is posted.
You will receive notification of your admission status via PCC email within one month of the close of Spring Term. Applicants who have been conditionally accepted into the program will be invited to a mandatory orientation in September.
Applicants who qualify, but do not have the top points for admission will be notified of their status as a program alternate. Often, alternates are eventually selected for the program. Alternates will be listed in order of points, and in the case of students receiving the same points, the order of applications were received by admissions.
Cohort and schedule
Students will become part of a cohort (a group of students who take classes together). The Medical Laboratory Technology program is an Associate of Applied Science Degree program. Students attend full time during the day for 7 terms.
After admission to the program, but before beginning directed practice, students may be required to complete some or all of the following: criminal background check, proof of immunizations, and a ten-panel drug screening. There will be a cost to the student associated with completing this requirement (see program costs). For more information about practicum requirements contact Admissions at email@example.com or 971-722-5667.