Uploading files in D2L with WebDav
Instructors can access the Manage Files area of their D2L Brightspace course using Dreamweaver via a WebDAV connection.
- Who is this for: Online Instructors
- What is required: A D2L course shell, file management and web skills, Dreamweaver software
Step 1: Change your D2L password
By default, you log in to D2L directly from MyPCC using a secure connection because of the connection between Desire2Learn and Banner registration. You will need to change your password to be able to create a connection from Dreamweaver to Desire2Learn later on in Step 3.
- Visit the Forgot Password page on the D2L site.
- You will see the Forgot Your Password page. Enter your PCC username in the Username: field. For example: if your email is firstname.lastname@example.org, then your username will be jane.doe15.
- Click the Submit button to send your request. Next, you will see a confirmation page.
- Check your PCC email to find an email from email@example.com.
- Click the Reset my password link from the email message. Note that this password link will expire 24 hour(s) after your initial request.
- You will see the Choose a New Password page.
- Enter your PCC username, the same username that you have entered previously in Step 1.3, in the Username: field.
- Enter your new Desire2Learn password in the New Password: field.
- Enter the same password you typed in previous step in the Re-enter Password: field.
- Click the Submit button. Next, you should see the Password successfully reset page.
- Click the Go to login page link.
- You should be back to the D2L login page with this URL: “online.pcc.edu/” (no quotes).
- Enter your new D2L password, the same password that you have entered previously in Step 184.108.40.206, in the Password: field.
- Click the Login button and continue to Step 2 below.
- Because you reset your D2L password, you will need to log in to D2L from this URL: “https://online.pcc.edu/” (no quotes) and not using MyPCC.
- Your new password will not be a permanent one. Because of the D2L and Banner integration, if an event occurs in Banner, such as having a course assigned to the instructor, a name or email change, or students being added/ dropped from the class, your password will be reset to a Banner password. It is not entirely predictable when the event will occur.
- If your password got reset, you will have to redo Step 1.
Step 2: Copy your course URL
- From the MyHome page, select the course you want to link using WebDav.
- Click on the Edit Course link.
- Click on the Course Offering Information link.
- Scroll down to Course Offering Path select the URL path and copy it to the clipboard (use Ctrl or command + C on your keyboard to copy). For example: “/content/enforced//66477-10123.201302/” (no quotes).
Step 3: Setup a connection to D2L in Dreamweaver CS6
- Open Dreamweaver software.
- From the Sites menu select Manage Sites and click on the New Site.button.
- The Site Setup window will pop up. Enter your Site Name. For example: “D2L” (no quotes).
- Locate your Local Site Folder where you will store all your files by clicking on the Browse for folder icon, navigating to the correct folder, and clicking the Select button.
- Select Servers on the left side to setup the connection.
- Click the + icon to Add new Server connection.
- In the Server Name: field, enter a name for your course. For example: “D2L ba101” (no quotes).
- Click the Connect Using: option menu and select WebDAV.
- In the FTP Address: field, enter this text “https://pcclmsdav.desire2learn.com” (no quotes) and paste the URL you had copied from D2L, from Step 2.4 as shown in the example: “https://pcclmsdav.desire2learn.com/content/enforced/66477-10123.201302/” (no quotes).
- Enter your D2L username in the Username: field.
- Enter your D2L password in the Password: field.
- Click the Test button to make sure you receive this message “Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 connected to your Web server successfully.” Click the OK button to close the window.
- Click the Save button to save your connection settings.
- Click the Save button again to save your Site Setup.
- Click the Done button to close the Manage Sites window. Your site has been set up.
Step 4: Working on files inside Dreamweaver
Option 1: Create a page in Dreamweaver and upload to D2L
- Create a new file in Dreamweaver.
- Add any content and title the file.
- Save and name the file.
- Under “Local Files” select the file and click the “Put files to Remote Server” icon.
- Once uploaded, enter the course in D2L, click on Content and Manage Files.
- Click the action menu for the file and select “preview” to view the content.
- You are now able to link to the newly uploaded file.
Option 2: Modify your existing page from D2L
- From the Files panel, click the Connect to Remote Server icon to connect your Dreamweaver to D2L.
- Find the file you want to edit and double-click on it to open.