May 2021 Highlights
D2L Brightspace 20.21.05 updates for May 2021
This will be installed on Thursday, May 27, 2021.
This month’s updates for D2L Brightspace Include:
- Assignments – Annotations available for TXT file-based assignments | Updated
- Assignments – Download file when using annotations in the New Assignment Evaluation Experience | New
- Brightspace Editor – Improvements | Updated
- Rubrics – Copy rubric criterion | New
- Rubrics – Print or export to PDF | New
Assignments – Annotations available for TXT file-based assignments | Updated
Previously, annotations enabled instructors to use highlighting, free-hand drawing, shapes, and associated commenting to provide feedback to learner assignments of the following file types: DOC, DOCX, RTF, ODT, PPT, PPTX, PPSX, ODP, XLS, XLSX, JPG, JPEG, PNG, TIF, TIFF, and GIF. Now, instructors can provide feedback for TXT, in addition to the existing types.
Assignments – Download file when using annotations in the New Assignment Evaluation Experience | New
The New Assignment Evaluation Experience now includes the Download drop-down menu in the Annotations viewer. When using annotations in an assignment, instructors can use this menu to download the original file without navigating to the submission list. Instructors can also download the annotated PDF file.
Brightspace Editor – Improvements | Updated
This feature complements the Brightspace Editor – Replaces the HTML Editor | New and the Assignments – Brightspace Editor in the new Assignment Evaluation Experience | New features released in the April 2021 / 20.21.4 release and includes the following improvements:
- Copy/paste and/or drag and drop images – You can copy/paste and/or drag and drop images when providing feedback in assignments, discussions, and quizzes. Images are saved in the content folder.
- Design improvements to enhance use of the Editor on mobile devices and improve general usability.
- Accessibility improvements – Improved keyboard navigation for keyboard users and toolbar icons are spaced out more in accordance with WCAG standards.
Rubrics – Copy rubric criterion | New
To improve the value of Rubrics and facilitate reusing rubric criteria that have already been created, an action menu next to the criterion name provides Copy and Delete options. When an instructor copies a criterion, the new criterion is added under the original with the criterion name Copy of [name of original criterion].
The Delete function was previously available as a trashcan icon at the end of the criterion row outside the table. The new location in the action menu improves the discoverability of the Delete and Copy options.
Rubrics – Print or export to PDF | New
To improve the user experience with Rubrics, instructors can now print or download a PDF of a preview or evaluated rubric. Learners can also print or download a PDF of a rubric from the desktop browser implementation of Brightspace Learning Environment. The Print button displays above the top-right corner of the rubric.