This content was published: August 14, 2020. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.
August 2020 Highlights
Posted by Donna Swanson
D2L Brightspace 20.20.08 updates for August 2020.
This will be installed on Thursday, August 27th, 2020
This month’s updates for D2l Brightspace and Zoom Include:
- Assignments – Copy assignment option | New
- Brightspace Assignment Grader – End-of-life | Removed
- Checklists – Copy a checklist | New
- Email – Additional Send button
- Grades – Unrelease all final grades | New
- Question Library – Attach files in written response questions | New
- Quizzes – User experience updates for editing quizzes with attempts | New
- Updates to Zoom
Assignments – Copy assignment option | New
You will now have the ability to copy existing assignments. You will now be able to select the Copy Assignment option in the drop-down menu for an existing assignment to quickly create new assignments. This feature copies all settings of an existing assignment except the associated grade item
Brightspace Assignment Grader – End-of-life
Effective August 15, 2020, the Assignment Grader mobile app is no longer available to new users. Existing users may continue to use the app if they have it installed, but no further updates or support will be made available by D2L and the app will be removed from app stores. As an alternative mobile grading option, D2L recommends using the Quick Eval tool in Brightspace Learning Environment.
Refer to Intent to End Of Life Notice For: Assignment Grader Mobile App for additional information.
Checklists – Copy a checklist | New
You can now perform copy actions for checklists. You can copy a whole checklist, a checklist category (including all items within it), or individual items in a checklist.
Email – Interface improvements
The Compose Email screen now includes a second Send button for enhanced usability.
Grades – Unrelease all final grades | New
Grades features a new workflow to quickly undo the release of final grades for a course. You will now be able to easily select Unrelease All from the Final Grades drop-down menu.
Quizzes/Question Library – Attach files in written response questions | New
When creating a written response question, you will now be able to allow students to upload files in their answers and include embedded images. Students can also record audio or video responses when answering written response question types. Written response questions are available in surveys.
When grading a quiz, similar to the behavior in the Discussions tool, you can download and open these attachments in another tab.
When students are reviewing their quiz submissions, if they are allowed to view their quiz responses, they can view their uploaded attachments.
The maximum file size for a single file or embedded image attached to a quiz response is set to 102400 KB (100MB). The maximum file size for all files attached or embedded in a single quiz question response is set to 102400 KB (100MB).
Quizzes – User experience updates for editing quizzes with attempts | New
To improve the user experience for instructors who edit quizzes with previous attempts by learners, the following updates have been made:
- Points for past quiz attempts are no longer modified when edits are made that affect the overall points and/or the grading rules for a quiz. A student’s grade on previous quiz attempts must now be changed directly by the instructor using the Update All Attempts workflow. Previously, the points for past quiz attempts were modified automatically, which could alter a student’s grade unexpectedly.
- Warning messages now appear when editing a quiz question with previous attempts to clearly communicate to instructors that editing quiz questions does not affect the content or automatically change the score of student’s past attempts.
- The changes in this feature only affect quiz attempts started after the June 2020/20.20.6 release. Quiz attempts started prior to 20.20.6 will retain previous functionality until September 2020/20.20.9.
Starting September 2020/20.20.9, this feature will extend to all quiz attempts started before June 2020/20.20.6.
Meetings & Webinars
- Video filters: Users can apply video filters to alter the look of your video with color grading, foreground, and frame filters. Filters can be turned off in your Web settings at any time.
- Adjust Touch Up My Appearance: New ability to adjust the skin smoothness applied with the Touch Up My Appearance feature.
- Adjust lighting: Users can choose to adjust the brightness of their video automatically or manually with a slider in their video settings. This feature is useful especially in low-light environments.
- Improved background noise suppression: You can adjust the background noise suppression applied, choosing to enable Low, Medium, High, or Automatic background noise suppression.
- Improved Waiting Room notifications: The meeting host now receives more notifications about attendees entering the waiting room, including during screen share, and when Zoom is minimized/hidden.
- Improved video and content sharing: Upgrades to video and content sharing to improve video quality, decrease bandwidth and CPU usage, and improve text clarity.Meetings & Webinars
- Additional meeting reactions: In addition to the clapping and thumbs up reactions, meeting participants can now react with a heart, surprised face, laughing face, or party emoji. Those receiving the reactions will also need to have the latest version of the Zoom client to see them.
- Security section when scheduling a meeting: To allow easier access, Passcode and Waiting Room settings are displayed under the Security section when scheduling a new meeting.