This content was published: January 27, 2020. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.
January 2020 Highlights
Posted by Donna Swanson
D2L Brightspace 20.20.01 updates for January 2020 – This was installed on Thursday, January 23, 2020
This month’s updates will Include:
- Assignments – New Assignment Page on by default
- Support for Internet Explorer
- Classlist – Total number of users field and floating buttons
- Copy Course Components – Now checks to see if content has already been copied into the course
- Discussions – Assessment consistency changes
- Groups – Self-enrollment group capacity, start dates and descriptions
- Quick Eval – Dismiss activities from list
- Quizzes – Synchronization with Grades
Assignments – New Assignment Page on by default:
- The new column = the count of submissions that haven’t been evaluated
- The completed column = assignments submitted. This number will include assignments that have been evaluated and those that haven’t been evaluated
Support for Internet Explorer:
As of January 1st, 2020, D2L Brightspace has ended support for Internet Explorer. All versions of Internet Explorer will no longer be able to access Brightspace.
Classlist – Total number of users field and floating buttons:
To improve ease of use, the total number of users for their selection (whole class, section, group) now appears in a field at the bottom of the Classlist page for at-a-glance viewing to help instructors keep track of the total number of learners, which may extend beyond the users visible on the page. On the Print Classlist and Email Classlist pages, the clickable Print and Email buttons now float consistently on screen, to ensure easy access to these actions without excessive scrolling
Copy Course Components – Now checks to see if content has already been copied into the course:
Copy Course Components now contains a validation logic step to the course copy process, which can inform users if they performed a copy from the source previously, avoiding unnecessary duplication of copied course components.
Discussions – Assessment consistency changes:
When assessing discussions, instructors have new multi-select options to Publish Feedback and Retract Feedback. In the Status column, the Draft / Published checkbox has been replaced by information on the date when feedback was saved as draft or published. These changes are visible on both the Users and Assessments tabs. The Save, Save and Close, and Cancel buttons have also been removed as their functionality has been replaced by the Publish Feedback and Retract Feedback options.
Groups – Self-enrollment group capacity, start dates and descriptions:
This feature includes three improvements to Groups:
- Group members can now see the description of their group. For self-enrolled groups, group members will now see the group description at all times, including before and after enrollment. For other group types, Instructors can now choose to display the description to members of the group. This visible group description setting is off by default for non-self-enrollment groups. Previously, all group descriptions were hidden from group members.
- An instructor can now increase or decrease the capacity for self-enrollment groups after they have been created, and prior to the group sign-up expiry date. Decreasing a group size to an amount smaller than has already signed up for a group will not re-allocate users to other groups. Previously, self-enrollment groups were not editable after they were created.
- Instructors can set Start dates for self-enrollment groups. This feature allows them to schedule self-enrollment groups availability, ensuring learners are prepared and have equal opportunity to self-enroll.
Quick Eval – Dismiss activities from list:
To improve the ability to manage items on their Quick Eval list, instructors can now select items that appear in their Quick Eval list and remove them temporarily or permanently. Instructors can view their dismissed items in the Dismissed Activities List and restore them to the Quick Eval list at any time.
Quizzes – Synchronization with Grades:
Quiz scores and feedback entered in Grades now synchronize automatically with Quizzes. To further streamline the workflow, the Overall Feedback fields in Grades and Quizzes are now consolidated, and the Grade Item Public Comments field has been removed from Grades. All comments entered in the Overall Feedback field in Grades synchronizes automatically with the Overall Feedback field in Quizzes. This update creates a more direct workflow and aligns Quizzes with the consistent feedback experience implemented in Assignments and Discussions. Refer to the blog post Improving Consistency Of Synchronization Between Grades And Quizzes Tool (20.20.01 – January Release) for more information.
Note: Synchronization only occurs for new grade entries. Existing grade data for quizzes will not be migrated due to the high impact to all past data and reports.