Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

This content was published: February 11, 2019. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.

Teaching during snowpocalypse

Posted by

PCC Sylvania campus, snow day, Feb 2019, photo credit to Celina Baguiano

PCC Sylvania campus, snow day, Feb 2019 (photo credit to Celina Baguiano)

Sitting in my living room while looking at the gorgeous snow outside this weekend, it all seems so peaceful. I can’t imagine the chaos there might be on Monday. The first day of school and work for everyone. Do you also worry whether your campus class will be delayed Monday morning? Don’t worry! I’m going to help you prepare some things that will help you so you can still teach your class regardless of the situation.

PCC values providing a predictable educational experience for their students. That must also be balanced with a safe physical environment for students, staff and the public while on campus or traveling to campus. Please see the PCC Closure Policy for more information.

Last year I wrote the blog post Using D2L Brightspace to shovel out your class. I showed you how tools in Brightspace can help you continue teaching class in the event of a campus closure or poor road conditions prevent you from getting to campus safely. In this post, I’d like to add a few more things that you can do.

Ready, set…

1-Quickly post a note for my class

You can use activity feed in Brightspace. My colleague, Casey and I did a post on it back in September, showing how you can use it to increase engagement. You certainly can use this in lieu of Announcement tool if you just want to post something quickly and don’t need to retain the information for future use.D2L Brightspace Activity Feed

2-Meet your students virtually from home

You can use Google Hangouts to meet your class. We have Google Hangouts available in our tool bucket. You can quickly create a meeting session where you can still meet your students during your class time from home. You can easily share your screen and invite anyone to the session.

Interface of Google Hangouts video conference session

3-Record a lecture for class

lecture captureYou can use Kaltura or Zoom from inside Brightspace to record your lecture and post it in the Content area. Remember to add the tags with keywords so that you can reference  the video later (e.g. cas121, week 6 lecture, feb 2019, typing efficiently, keyboard shortcut, captionasr.) Also, your recording file may not be available right away for posting as it takes time to process, especially if your lecture is longer than 15 minutes.

Go!

Go to your Brightspace class and try them out!

I believe you’re now ready to teach your class during a snow day or during any emergency situation you might encounter in the future that may otherwise cancel your class.