Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

This content was published: January 23, 2017. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.

Short videos improve instructor presence – part II

Posted by

In my last blog post: Short videos improve instructor presence – Part I, I talked about three simple options you can use to create short videos to improve instructor presence. I hope you get a chance to read it. If not, don’t worry… it’s not too late since I’m going to give you some tips before you get started.

Note: I want to let you know that the first 2 options: Video Note and Screencast-O-Matic are not readily accessible. Video Note should only be use for a simple quick video creation that you won’t retain for future use. Screencast-O-Matic, although creating it and hosting it in their site are not accessible, you can download the video, upload it to our streaming server and have it captioned when there’s accommodation need. Ok, let’s talk about what should you use to record video.

What should I use to record?

Nowadays, you have a lot of options since technology is more affordable. A lot more people have their smartphone or tablet that are usually come with a high resolution camera to shoot a video. It’s cheaper since you probably already own it and don’t have to buy a specialized video camera and carry too many things everywhere you want to shoot a video.

• A webcam
    This option allow you to upload the video directly without transferring effort. This is what you should use when you try to create a video in my last blog (Video Note in D2L, Screencast-O-Matic, or Webcam in D2L).
  • A phone or a tablet video recording using phone
    Usually your phone or tablet will have a higher resolution compare to the webcam, thus, you will get a higher quality video. If you don’t have any options to upload the video to your own YouTube or our streaming server (Kaltura), you have to think of a way to transfer the file to the computer. You can try to email the file to yourself if it’s not too big, or maybe upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox.
  • A video camera
    If you want to use a video camera, I’d recommend to have a tripod so that your video will be steady. It would be hard watching a shaky video. Using this method, you will also have to think about transferring the file before you can post it and make it available for your students.
    I’d recommend you to talk to a professional if you want to create a higher quality video or have video project in mind. Our Video Production group will be happy to discuss it with you.
Recording Tips for non-video professionalsConsiderations for creating video for novices
1. V V S: Vertical Video Syndrome

Huh? What is that?

Regardless of what you choose, one thing I want to say is “Please don’t shoot your video vertically.” (ps: VVS: Vertical Video Syndrome), especially if you will post the video and make it available for everyone to watch.

Watch this 3 minute video to understand VVS:

Why? Your video will have the thick black pillar box bars on the either side of the video, which can be a little awkward. Human eyes are also designed to see things in widescreen. Remember that although you can view a picture vertically, it’s not the same as viewing video vertically.

2. Preparation
3. Recording Tips

What’s new this term?

• Did you know that our DL department offer video camp? Video Camp is a professional development opportunity offered to instructors teaching fully online classes at Portland Community College which supports the design and development of high quality video productions to enrich our online courses.
  • This term, we are also offering Gear Up Media sessions. Check our training schedule and register.