MESA Community College Program
Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the MESA Community College Program (MCCP) provides full tuition for two years at PCC Southeast and one year at PSU for students majoring in a STEM field.
While new to Oregon, the MCCP has successfully supported students across the US for over 30 years. Oregon MESA is now accepting applications for a new cohort of MCCP students at PCC’s Southeast Campus through the MESA College to Career (C2C) scholarship.
We are committed to recruiting and retaining women, underrepresented minorities (African Americans, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans/Native Alaskans, and multiracial students), and low-income students as defined by the US Department of Education Pell Grant Program for this scholarship opportunity.
During the program, students are engaged in the following:
- Academic excellence workshops: Learn skills that support successful completion of math-based science courses at PCC and beyond.
- Academic advising and counseling: Receive guidance on which courses to take and which classes will transfer to 4-year institutions.
- Student study center: Use the PCC Southeast STEM Center as a welcoming and supportive space to study for classes.
- Career development: Learn which skills are valued by industry partners.
- Industry partnerships: Interact with industry leaders and gain valuable insights into corporate culture, soft skills, and effective courses of study.
- Support throughout the academic year: MCCP begins in October and continues through June.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, national, or refugee.
- Plan to major in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) discipline.
- Eligible STEM disciplines are:
- Biological Sciences (except medicine and other clinical fields)
- Physical Sciences (including physics, chemistry, astronomy and materials science)
- Mathematical Science
- Computer and information sciences
- Technology fields associated with the disciplines above (such as biotechnology)
- Enroll at least half-time (6 credits per term for fall-winter-spring terms) at PCC.
- Be a full-time student and show academic talent by completing MTH 95 with at least a B (or testing directly into MTH 111).
- Plan to complete an AAOT or compile enough STEM credits to transfer to PSU in one of the targeted STEM majors within 2 years.
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and verified by PCC’s Financial Aid office.
- Commit to meeting regularly with a project faculty advisor and participate in C2C scholar activities when possible.
- Agree to participate in surveys administered by an external evaluator during the project period. You must also respond to future surveys in order to determine your academic progress or baccalaureate degree status following your graduation or transfer to PSU.
Apply to MCCP
This application requires basic personal and educational information, contact information for two references, and a short paragraph regarding your aspirations within the STEM field (less than 500 characters). You are not required to submit any additional information.
Unsure if you want to apply? Have additional questions for us? Complete the following interest form if you’re interested in applying for MCCP and a team member will reach out to offer support.
Peer Mentor Program:
Student peer mentors will be trained and embedded in Math 95 classes, to support student retention and completion, and will be paid $15 per hour through our grant funds. MCCP scholarship recipients and all students who have completed Math 95 are welcome to apply. For more information about the peer Mentor Program, please visit:
If you are interested, or have any questions about the Peer Mentor Program, please contact our Success Coach for Math 95, Jess Brooks, at firstname.lastname@example.org.