Looking for a hands-on way to learn math?
Join the Makerspace Mathematics team for a new kind of math class.
Starting Winter 2021, we’ll apply foundational concepts like fractions, unit conversions, and scaling to build miniature model boats! Experience hands-on learning in a remote setting, with support from fellow PCC and PSU students, math faculty, and Peter Crim, the Executive Director of Wind & Oar Boat School.
How to register
Stay tuned for Spring term class information!
- Class name: MTH 99M: Makerspace Mathematics
- CRNs (you only need to register for one):
- 25367 is Wednesdays from 12:00 – 2:50pm
- 25372 is Fridays from 10:00am – 12:50pm
- Credits: 1
- Prerequisites: Successful completion of MTH 20 or equivalent placement.
NOTE: This class does not meet the General Education requirements but is meant as a support class to complete prerequisites. Grant funding is available to cover tuition and fees, first-come-first-serve.
What to expect
- Tools and materials: Everything you need to build your boat will be mailed to you before the first day of class.
- Class format: You’ll meet (remotely) with the instructor, class peers, and your fellow classmates to work together during class time.
- Homework: Outside of class, you’re not required to do any assignments unless you want to connect with class peers or the instructor to share your thoughts and experiences.
- Grading: The class is only offered as pass/no pass.
- Tuition assistance: Fill out the tuition assistance interest form.
Meet the Makerspace Mathematics team!
We are currently gauging interest for an Advisory Committee for the project, composed of faculty, staff, and students. The committee will be tasked with reviewing our project work and providing feedback about ways to improve! This is a paid opportunity that would start as early as March 2021. Fill out the Advisory Committee interest form.
This class was made possible by a grant awarded to PCC Southeast by the National Science Foundation.