These databases have published articles from magazines, newspapers, and scholarly journals. They are a good place to begin your research.
- A starting point for full-text articles on current events and issues, as well as business, science, technology, medicine, the arts, literature and other subjects.
- A starting point for full-text articles on current events and issues, as well as science, technology, medicine, the arts, literature and other subjects.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Pro and con opinion essays on current social issues.
- SIRS Knowledge Source
- News and magazine articles on current events and social issues. Great for finding pro and con articles.
- Research Guides
- These guides, created by PCC Librarians, provide recommended databases for a specific subject area.
- Databases A-Z
- Includes a complete list of PCC Library databases.
- Tutorials and Handouts
- These tutorials and handouts have been created by PCC Librarians and are organized by the steps in the research process.
What is a Peer-Reviewed Article?
Many, but not all, academic journals are peer-reviewed. According to the Random House Dictionary, peer review is the "evaluation of a person's work or performance by a group of people in the same occupation, profession, or industry." A peer-reviewed journal publishes articles which have been independently evaluated by experts (peers) in the field.
Find out more by taking a look at What is a Peer Reviewed Article.
These databases have published articles from scholarly journals.
- Academic One File
- [limit to peer-reviewed by checking the "to peer-reviewed publications" box]
Gale. A starting point for peer-reviewed, full-text articles in the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects.
- Academic Search Premier
- [limit to peer-reviewed by checking the "Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals" box in Advanced Search]
EBSCOhost. Full text for more than 4,500 scholarly social sciences, humanities, general science, education and multi-cultural journals. 3,700+ are peer-reviewed.
- Full text of over 1000 scholarly journals in the arts and sciences, from their earliest issues up to 3-5 years ago. Does not include current issues of the journals. A video tutorial on how to search JSTOR is available.
- EBSCOhost. Start here if you are looking for scholarly (peer-reviewed) psychology articles. PsycINFO is the single most comprehensive psychology article collection. Full-text articles from PsycARTICLES are included here.
- Science Direct
- Full text for over 890 peer reviewed health and life sciences journals. View Science Direct handout [pdf].