Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

F-1 Visa Advising


Tracey PettitTracey Pettit


(971) 722-5615

Rock Creek

DeannaDeanna Maczko

Unavailable for Spring and Summer 2020

Please contact Meryl.DePasquale@pcc.edu to be connected with another advisor who can help.



Madison Barrientos-ChinnMadison Barrientos-Chinn


(971) 722-8226


Youngin JooJie Bian


(971) 722-4640



Maria HillMaria Hill


(971) 722-8320

F-1 Student Advising


What is an International Student Advisor/Designated School Official (DSO)?

The OISS International Student Advising team provides you with a number of important benefits and services.  Our primary function is to ensure that you maintain your legal status while a student at Portland Community College (PCC) and to provide you with the necessary support to be a successful student.

International Student Advisors are also known as Designated School Officials (DSO’s).  As DSO’s, we act as liaisons between PCC and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through: the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) , the U.S. Department of State, embassies and consulates abroad and more!


What can my International Advisor assist me with? 

We encourage students to visit with their International Advisor when unsure of regulations/situations pertaining to their F-1 visa.  It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the terms of your immigration status during your stay in the United States. A violation of the immigration regulations (for example, failure to maintain a full-time credit load or unauthorized employment) could jeopardize your F-1 status and legal stay in the U.S. Plan ahead, become more familiar with your F-1 visa type/the regulations and prevent an emergency by establishing a good relationship with your advisor.  We welcome your questions!

International Advisors provide students with current information regarding compliance with DHS requirements, including student and exchange visitor status, travel, employment regulations and much more.

You must talk to your International Advisor/DSO when any of the following situations apply to you:

  • Changing your major, program, degree or educational level
  • Transferring to a new school
  • Taking annual vacation
  • Taking a leave of absence
  • Traveling outside of the United States
  • Moving to a new address
  • Changing your name
  • Working in the United States
  • Requesting a program extension
  • Having trouble maintaining status or need to take a reduced course load
  • Having a Terminated SEVIS record or other discrepancies on your SEVIS record
  • Having trouble applying for a driver’s license
  • Having any other questions related to your program of study and time studying in the United States


Who is my International Advisor?

International Advisors are available at the following PCC campuses: Cascade, Rock Creek, Southeast and Sylvania.  Unless otherwise directed, you may visit with the advisor of your choice.

Please see our advising staff here:  OISS Team