NISOD Excellence Awards
About the NISOD Excellence Awards
The purpose of the NISOD Excellence Awards is one way we can show our appreciation to Portland Community College faculty, staff, and administration for their outstanding commitment and contributions to our college community.
The National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD) is a consortium of technical and community colleges committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in teaching, learning, and leadership. NISOD’s Excellence Awards recognize folks each year who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment and contribution to their students and colleagues. The NISOD Excellence Awards were established in 1991 to provide NISOD member colleges with an opportunity to recognize individuals doing extraordinary work on their campuses. Since then, more than 30,000 recipients have been honored with the Award by their colleges.
Eligibility & Selection
- All candidates must be currently employed and will be evaluated on contributions made while employed at Portland Community College
- The nominations will be reviewed by the Professional & Organizational Development (POD) Advisory Council members
- Awards will be presented to those nominees who have demonstrated extraordinary commitment to the strategic initiatives and mission of the college based upon the criteria outlined above and as evidenced in the nomination form
- If nominated, member(s) of the Advisory Council will have to recuse themselves from the selection process
Recipients of the NISOD Excellence Award will:
- Receive an Excellence Award Medallion and personalized certificate (suitable for framing)
- Be listed in the NISOD Excellence Awards booklet and featured on the awards web page
- Have an opportunity to have their photo and a personal statement displayed on kiosks throughout the conference center
- Be announced at the February 2023 PCC Board meeting, featured on the POD newsletter and website through a college-wide announcement
- ALL recipients will receive funding from the POD office to attend the NISOD International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence
For questions, please contact the POD team at POD@pcc.edu.
- Provide relevant, high quality education through excellence in teaching and learning, strategic enrollment management and collaborative partnerships.
- Promote an inclusive healthy learning and work environment that nurtures the health and well-being of all students and employees.
- Improve the lives of learners and communities through the recognition and respect for the distinct cultures, languages, histories and backgrounds.
- Support the development of our staff to align their strengths, passions, purpose, skills and capabilities with the needs of a shifting and changing educational landscape.
All PCC employees may nominate a colleague for an award through the process detailed below:
- Submit nomination form
- Nominations must be complete and submitted by 5pm (PST) Friday, January 13th, 2023.
- Please do not submit directly to NISOD as they will only accept nominations submitted by the NISOD Liaison’s (POD) office
Recipients of this award will be invited to the national conference May 27th – 30th in Austin, TX to attend the Excellence Award Dinner & Celebration where they will be recognized.
*All Classified, Academic Professional (AP), Manager, Confidential, FT Faculty and PT Faculty qualify to be awarded a NISOD Excellence Award. Any awarded Classified/PT Faculty member will need to discuss additional participation specifics with their manager.
- Jessica Bernards
- Melissa Duke
- Heather Griffo
- Cynthia Killingsworth
- “Ari” Aristides Petrides-Jimenez
- Tinah Bazin-Quintana
- Leslie Mestman
- Alicia Adams
- Kaela Parks
- Linda Degman
- Todd Nashiwa
- Tyler Duncan
- Zita Podany
- Beto Espindola
- Magda D’Angelis-Morris
- Matthew Brehm
- Linda Fergusson-Kolmes
- Naho Katagiri
- Emmitt Wyche
- Angela McMahon
- Kendi Esary
- Loren Perry
- Alicia Adams
- Elizabeth Rodrigues
- Timothy Krause
- Kate Kinder
- August Stockton
- Rakeem Washington
- Charmaine Vannimwegen
- Fidelia Twenge Jinings
- Lisa George
- Toby Dittrich
- Arlette Slachmuylder
Beginning in 2023, the number of overall winners has been adjusted to allow POD to fully fund all recipients to attend the national excellence awards in Austin, TX.