Physical Plant Director
TITLE: Physical Plant Director
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of the Vice President of Administrative Services, plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the construction, operation and maintenance of college buildings, utilities and grounds. Interacts with a variety of individuals including executive officers, college staff students, the general public, special interest groups, college counsel and contractors. Represents the College as needed in public forums and professionally related groups.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for operation and protection of college facilities, employees and students. Analyzes and interprets all federal, state and local laws and other legislation regarding buildings, grounds, utilities, employee safety and public safety which affect the department and the college, and incorporates as necessary into existing policies, procedures and programs.
- Supervises directly administrative and clerical staff. Supervises through administrative staff the custodial, grounds, maintenance, and construction staff. Hires, evaluates and disciplines personnel. Plans and implements the organization of work, and appropriate training for department needs and requirements.
- Manages the department budgets including developing budget proposals, justifying expenses, monitoring accounts, approving expenditures and requesting transfers of monies.
- Leads the development of plans, projects, and programs for renewing and maintaining physical assets district-wide. Assists other departments in proposing and costing of projects, and supervises work done on all facilities. Budgets for and monitors all capital project monies, including monies assigned to campus executives.
- Responsible for maintaining capital projects including asbestos and lead management. Plans and directs appropriate training for college safety requirements.
- Maintains a work reception area and process to include prioritizing work requests and coordinating internal and external services.
- Plans and manages construction of college facilities including developing accurate budgets, controlling expenditures and resolving disputes.
- Assesses circumstances and recommends college closure for unsafe conditions.
- Establishes and monitors college energy budget, incorporates energy saving measures and monitors all utility conservation and least cost choice.
- Ensures a safe work environment for subordinates.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed primarily in an office setting with outside exposure to adverse weather, extremes of noise, ventilation or other hazards during response to emergencies and visits to construction sites. This position is on-call 24 hours per day, seven days per week to respond to building operations and protection. Frequent extended hours are required.
Generally, minimal physical exertion is required.
A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Engineering, Construction management or related field. Five years experience in the management of a large organizational unit involved in providing services to a wide range of clients. Experience must have included fiscal, supervisory, planning and evaluation responsibilities. Knowledge of functions performed in physical plant operations and ability to direct those functions required.
Demonstrated ability to interpret, evaluate and analyze problems; and to provide effective methods of resolution – particularly when addressing unprecedented issues. Effective human relations skills required, including verbal, written, presentation and the ability to influence others and negotiate toward a common goal.