Portland Community College Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon

Step 7: Maintain eligibility

students at PCC graduation standing to the national anthem

Once you have protected your classes, you are ready to start attending class and receiving benefits. To keep receiving veterans benefits, you need to make sure you maintain eligibility throughout the entire term.

How to maintain eligibility

  1. Enroll full time

    To receive the full housing allowance, you must be enrolled for at least 12 credits at every point during the term. If your enrollment is below 12 credits, your benefit will be prorated to match your enrollment level.

  2. Go to class

    You must attend your classes through the end of the term. Housing allowance is only paid for actual enrollment. This means that if you stop attending class, your housing allowance will be reduced. The VA will assess an overpayment for benefits paid after your enrollment status was reduced, and you will receive a bill.

  3. Get good grades

    You must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher, as defined in PCC's academic standards of satisfactory academic progress.

  4. Pass your classes

    You must successfully complete 2/3 of attempted credits each term. This means that if you start the term enrolled in 12 credits, you must pass at least 8 credits. This policy is defined in PCC's academic standards of satisfactory academic progress.

  5. Transfer in credits

    If you have attended college elsewhere, official transcripts from previous schools must be submitted by the end of your first term receiving benefits.

  6. Attend an advising workshop

    During your first term using VA Education Benefits at PCC, you must attend a Veterans Advising Workshop. These workshops have information specifically about using VA Education Benefits. Sessions are held during weeks 3-5 of the term.

If you have to miss class because you are called to Active Duty, we encourage you to contact your instructors as soon as possible. PCC will attempt to make accommodations to allow you to complete courses. In the event you receive a withdraw or fail grade, you have the option to appeal according to the PCC appeal process and to be readmitted to your program in accordance with 34 C.F.R. 668.18. For assistance with these steps please contact the Veterans Education Benefits Office or a Veterans Resource Center.