Fully-Funded Summer Programs
The following programs are offered to U.S. undergraduate students and are fully-funded for selected students – in other words, all program costs (airfare, tuition, housing and meals, and cultural activities) are covered for you if you are chosen to participate. These programs are competitive, so read all of the details below carefully. Contact a PCC education abroad advisor[opens in new window] to find out more about these options and to begin the application process!
Fulbright UK Summer Institutes
Fulbright UK Summer Institutes: The US-UK Fulbright Commission sponsors 3-6 week summer programs for U.S. first-year and second-year college students to study at universities in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- Typically 8-10 programs are offered per summer.
- Eligibility: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in a degree program at PCC (students who will complete the Associate’s degree during spring term prior to the summer program and intend to transfer to a four-year institution the following fall are also eligible). Minimum 3.7 GPA required.
- Credit: Students receive credit from the hosting UK university. Students may transfer credits earned through this program to PCC and other colleges/universities according to standard transfer credit policies of the receiving institution.
- Deadlines: early February for the upcoming summer.
- Approximately 50 students receive scholarships to participate each summer.
Critical Language Scholarship
Critical Language Scholarship Program: The U.S. Department of State sponsors 7-10 week intensive summer language institutes abroad for U.S. students to study critical foreign languages.
- In 2018, institutes were offered in Jordan, Morocco, and Oman (Arabic); Azerbaijan (Azerbaijani and Turkish); China and Taiwan (Chinese); India (Bangla, Hindi, Punjabi, and Urdu); Indonesia (Indonesian); Japan (Japanese); Russia, Georgia, and Kyrgyzstan (Russian); South Korea (Korean); Tajikistan (Persian); and Tanzania (Swahili).
- Approximately 600 students received scholarships to participate in 2014.
- Eligibility: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in a degree program at PCC. Programs in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Persian, and Russian require some prior study of the target language; all other programs are open to beginners who have never previously studied the language, as well as more advanced students.
- Credit: Students receive credit through Bryn Mawr College. Students may transfer credits earned through this program to PCC and other colleges/universities according to standard transfer credit policies of the receiving institution.
- Successful participation in the CLS program offers awardees 12 months of US Federal government Non-Competitive Eligibility for hiring, extendable for up to three years due to studies.
- Deadlines: early November for the following summer