Sending email from the classlist
In Desire2Learn, emails are sent from the classlist. Reading and responding to email is done from the Messages icon on the mini bar.
- Who is this for: Online Instructors
- What is required: A Desire2Learn course with students
Step 1: Checking new email
- Click on the Messages/Mail icon in the top right of the mini bar
- Click on the Click on the subject line of the email and it will appear in the lower section of the email and it will appear in the lower section
Step 2: Changing the default view
The default view for email is to “Show the Message Preview pane”. This option splits the screen: the top half is your inbox, and when you click on an email, it will be displayed in the bottom half of the screen. If you find this constraining, here are the steps to change this:
- When you are in the Inbox, click the Settings link in the upper right.
- Under Display Options, uncheck the box for Show the Message Preview pane.
Step 3: Sending email
- Click on Classlist.
- To send email click the box before the student(s) you want to email. If you want to email the entire class, check the Select all Rows box above the gray band in line with the individual check boxes. This will check all boxes.
- Click the email icon to the right of the Select All Rows checkbox.
- Recipients’ names and addresses will be listed under BCC: to protect the privacy of the individuals.
- Enter you subject, type you message, attach files, and then click the Send button.
Step 4: Viewing individual classes in your inbox
- By default, all inboxes will list all messages. This means that if you teach or take multiple classes, all your email is combined into one inbox.
- To view only the class you want, click on the “Filter By” drop-down list.
- Click on the class you’re wanting to view.
- When the inbox refreshes, you will see only the mail from the filtered course.