Accommodations and services
PCC Disability Services uses an interactive process to meet the needs of students who experience disability. Our counselors and specialists meet with students individually to verify eligibility for specific academic adjustments – see the accommodation process page. Examples of accommodations and services available for use by eligible students include but are not limited to the following:
- Notetaking support options include peer or paid notetakers, as well as the use of recording devices and other assistive technologies.
- In-class aides are approved for students who need assistance with specific academic tasks in classroom and lab environments.
- Sign language interpreting and transcribing is approved and coordinated to ensure communication access.
- Accommodated testing for timed assessments is approved through Disability Services, but exams are often proctored through PCC Testing Centers.
- Furniture adjustments are provided for students when the existing options cause barriers.
- Adaptive computer technology is available across the college and for loan.
Course material accommodations
- Alternate formats for print include large print, Braille, audio, accessible electronic text, etc.
- Media captioning for video content.
- We offer collaboration and engagement through an interactive process. When students are eligible for liaison services such as consideration for flexibility with attendance, deadlines, or group work, there is an e-form that needs to be signed before requesting accommodations. The language for this e-form can be reviewed in advance. Please reach out to Disability Services with any questions about rights and responsibilities.
- When requests for consideration of adjustments to course-specific policies [pdf] are included on faculty notification letters, Disability Services provides brief agreement forms to assist. These forms document ways flexibility can be put in place on a course by course basis without fundamentally altering or lowering standards. Complete these forms through the online accommodation system and preview the questions.
- Forms can be completed by students working directly with their instructors, or they can be completed by DS on behalf of students and instructors. Once a form has been completed or modified, email confirmations will be sent to both the student and instructor. DS is available to assist at any point in the process.
- Statements of support may be discussed and provided as appropriate.
- We may also provide assistance for students navigating college processes, such as financial aid appeals, academic progress reviews, or student conduct hearings.
- GED® test accommodations and guidance may be provided for external testing services.
- Course substitutions – See our course substitution guidelines and fill out a course substitution request form (must be completed with DS practitioner).
- Reduced course loads
- Disability Services counseling and academic coaching
- Adaptive computing training and support
- Adaptive equipment is available from the library for anyone at PCC. More specialized equipment is available from Disability Services upon approval.
GED® is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education and may not be used without permission. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license.