Technology resources supporting remote operations
Updated as of: Tuesday, March 26, 2020 at 8:45am.
As the college moves to offering online operations, instruction and services, PCC’s Information Technology (IT) division is responding as quickly as possible so that support for all necessary service lines is up and running in time for Spring Term.
First, review the PCC Telecommuting Center Spaces page before calling the Service Desk with telecommuting questions. Most of the answers to your questions can be found on this page. This is your most useful technology resource, as we will continue to update information as the situation evolves.
Technology guidelines and resources
- Printing documents at home:
- Avoid printing FERPA, PII (e.g. SS#) or other sensitive college information if possible.
- Dispose securely (e.g., shredding).
- Confirm that home printers are sufficient to support work needs.
- If you order equipment through IT Purchasing, note that there are significant supply chain delays for ordering technology equipment. However, we are here to assist and if you find yourself with an essential need or questions, please contact IT Purchasing at email@example.com
- Do not use Third Party platforms or technologies that are not supported by PCC to:
- Communicate FERPA data with students or conduct PCC business
- Store student data or PCC business information
- If you need a PCC laptop in order to telecommute, the IT team has created a request and provisioning process. Contact your local IT Campus Manager or the IT Service Desk to place a request.
- When accessing your work desktop computers from home, do not call the Service Desk to request VPN unless you understand the specific uses for which VPN is approved. VPN will not be approved for general access to your work computer.
- IT has implemented an Enterprise Remote Access solution powered by Splashtop for those needing access to their PCC desktop computer from home, with no VPN requirement. For those faculty and staff that require remote access to their work desktop computer, please follow the instructions noted below:
- Submit a request using the IT Online Support Form describing your remote computer access needs.
- Within 1-2 business days, you will receive an “Invite” email from Splashtop.
- Complete the Splashtop account invite process.
- Download and install the Splashtop Business application on your home computer.
- IT will complete the assignment of your Splashtop account to your designated work computer, and follow up with applicants when ready for use.
- Additional instructions for using Splashtop are posted to the PCC Telecommuting Center.
- Important: Because we are deploying a new platform, initial demand could exceed our support capabilities. If this occurs, IT may need to prioritize requests.
- IT will provide remote support for PCC laptops. We will not provide remote support or make changes to personal home computers. However, the Service Desk will provide advice as best it can.
- If you are using your personal home computer, make sure it is properly protected from virus and malware — please see guidelines on the PCC IT Website Security Tools page.
- IT will provide support services remotely Monday through Friday for the duration of the college’s remote operations. In addition, support will be available on Saturday, March 28, to aid in the transition.
- Due to the high volume of tickets currently, you may experience delays on Service Desk wait times and tickets.
We understand this is a stressful time for our community, and we are all working toward common goals as best we can. We appreciate your patience and partnership.