Summer Registration Open at 7am, 5/22
For summer 2019, important policy changes and updates have been made to our registration process. Please review the below information closely.
PCC’s program provides teens and adults with classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction. The behind-the-wheel instruction and in-car observation are scheduled outside of the classroom times and may extend past the last day of class.
The Oregon DMV will waive the Drive Test for all 15-17-year-old teen students who successfully complete this ODOT approved Driver Education course. The provisional driver license will still be obtained through DMV. All other licensing requirements still apply.
Please note your registration packet will be considered received and assigned a timestamp only when a fully completed registration form is received by our department.
Policy Changes – New for Summer 2019
Due to recent policy changes, we are no longer able to accept electronic signatures on consent to release. All consent to release forms must contain a hard signature or they must be input online via MyPCC.
In an effort to ensure the smoothest possible registration process, please create a student profile for the student enrolling in Drivers Ed and add any desired consent to release information in advance of registration’s open on May 22. Instructions are below under “Registration”.
Please note FERPA regulation requires a consent to release form disclosing Student Finances for any third party making a payment on a student’s account. This includes a parent making a payment on behalf of a minor student.
FERPA also requires a consent to release disclosing “Course Schedule,” “Enrollment Status,” and “Attendance” for any third party seeking information regarding a student’s schedule, including registration confirmations.
If you do not have a consent to release on file at the time of registration, you will still be able to register for the class. However, only the student registered in the course will be able to receive communication from the College regarding their courses and finances.
- Classes are offered throughout the year.
- Classes are open to all teens and adults.
- There are offerings at Portland Public High Schools and PCC campuses/centers. [opens in new window] You need not be a student of any particular campus/school to attend.
- Scholarships are available for students on a lunch assistance program. See Part E of the registration form for information.
- Behind-the-wheel lessons are held on weekdays and weekends and vary in length from 2-3 hours per week.
- Teens must be 15-17 years old and complete the course before their 18th birthday to qualify for the ODOT teen program. If these requirements are not met, students may incur additional charges and will not receive ODOT card.
- Must have a valid Oregon Instruction Permit to register.
- Attendance at ALL sessions is mandatory.
- Missed sessions must be made-up at an additional cost.
- Mandatory parent/teen orientation is held at the first class session.
- Must bring Oregon Instruction Permit and a photocopy of your permit to the first class.
- Students should have a minimum of 10 hours of driving experience before beginning the class.
- Driver Ed classes are taught in English. Students must have reached intermediate proficiency in spoken English to register. For safety reasons, PCC reserves the right to deny instruction if the instructor cannot safely communicate with the student.
- You are not eligible for the teen pricing and must register as an adult if you previously completed an approved ODOT Driver Ed class.
Enrollment in Drivers Education classes is processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Your registration packet will be considered received and assigned a timestamp only when a fully completed registration form is received by our department. This means that the student’s date of birth, and driver’s permit information must be filled out completely.
It is fine to leave the consent to release portion of the form blank if you indicate on the registration packet that you have submitted this information via MyPCC or will submit it in-person or by mail within 10 business days.
If you are submitting the consent to release information via the registration packet, the signature on the form must be handwritten in pen, and the registration form must be sent as a PDF if it is sent electronically.
Registration Packet FAQs
How will I know that registration packets are available?
Summer 2019 registration will open Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7am. You will know when the registration forms are available when you see the hyperlinks:
We recommend refreshing your browser at 7am to ensure the page is fully updated.
What is the consent to release portion of the registration packet? Do I have to fill it out?
Due to FERPA regulations, minors are required to complete and sign the consent to release portion of the registration packet in order to release sensitive information to a parent or guardian. Adults are not required to complete this portion of the registration packet, but they can complete the consent to release if they would like a spouse, friend, or parent to have access to confidential information.
What type of information is considered confidential?
Once a student is registered in a course, any information regarding their registration or registration status is confidential. This includes things like class schedules, drive times/locations, test scores, grades etc.
How do I submit my hand-signed Consent to Release Confidential Information form?
We highly recommend the student create a MyPCC account and submit their contact(s)’ information from their MyPCC homepage electronically (see the important message included in the Registration box at the bottom of the page) prior to submitting a registration form. Otherwise, please submit your hand-signed registration form as a pdf attachment to email@example.com. We understand that scanners are necessary for this action and apologize for the inconvenience. You can also submit your registration form via fax (971-722-6623) or submit it in person (SE Campus – Administration Building Rm 304). Please note that we will not accept jpeg files or other photograph files of registration forms.
What is the confidential code?
The confidential code is a password or code that you provide to us. It is then used to verify your identity when you call to discuss a student. We will ask you to provide this code each time you ask for sensitive or confidential information.
My student does not have a PCC ID. What do I do?
This is the one portion of the form that is ok to leave blank. If you or your student do not have a PCC ID number, our department can generate one, and it will be provided to you after your registration is confirmed.
What if I do not yet have a driver’s permit?
If you do not have a driver’s permit by the time registration opens, we cannot accept your registration packet. It is a requirement that all students have a driver’s permit and 10 hours of driving experience before being enrolled in a PCC Driver’s Education class.
What if I only have an interim permit?
It is fine if you only have an interim permit at the time of registration. Please be sure you are including your permit number on your registration form and indicating if it is an interim or permanent permit. Once you’ve received your permanent permit, please make a copy of it and give it to your classroom instructor.
How do I enroll my student in a class at the Scholarship tuition rate?
Students who are on lunch assistance programs at school or whose households are enrolled in SNAP benefits are eligible to receive an ODOT scholarship. To enroll at the Scholarship rate, please follow this 2-step process:
- On the registration packet, check the box on page 2, part F, labeled, “A student on lunch assistance program at school ay register for any of the above classes”
Include a copy of the official assistance letter from your high school or a copy of your official SNAP assistance letter when you are sending in your registration packet. It is ok to send this as an additional attachment if you are emailing your registration packet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for creating a student account
If you do not already have a MyPCC student profile, create a non-credit MyPCC student account for the student who would like to enroll in Drivers Ed.
- Visit PCC.edu/nc
- Select the “Create Your Account” option
- Select the “Apply as a non-credit” student option
- Follow the prompts for your student
Instructions for inputting consent to release information via MyPCC:
- Log into My.PCC.Edu.
- From your MyPCC Home tab, scroll down to the “Quick Links” menu (bottom, left of page).
- Select “Consent to Release.”
- Fill in all required information on the electronic “Consent to Release” form.
- Select all the types of records you would like shared.
- The most common selections for Drivers Ed students are “Course Schedule,” “Student Finances,” “Enrollment Status,” and “Attendance”
- When you have filled out all required information, click “Add this Name.”
- If you would like to add multiple people, click “return” and repeat steps 6 and 7.
IMPORTANT: Common Issues with Registration Packet Submission
The most reliable way to ensure you are not sending in a blank reg form is to take the following steps:
- Download the Driver Education Registration Form fillable pdf and save it to your desktop.
- Complete every field in the fillable pdf.
- Select “File” and “Print.”
- In the “Printer:” drop down menu, select “Adobe PDF”
- Save the pdf to your desired location. The file should no longer be in fillable pdf format.
- Attach the newly saved pdf to your email.
- When sending to email@example.com, CC your personal email address, open the pdf you attached, and ensure that the pdf is completely filled out.
- If you notice any missing information, please add this information and resend the form ASAP.
- Download the appropriate Driver Education registration form:
- Complete, print, sign, scan, save as PDF, and submit the form once in only one way: email (firstname.lastname@example.org), print and fax (971-722-6623), or submit in person (SE Campus – Administration Building Rm 304).
- Please be sure to attach ink-handwritten signed Release of Confidential Information in your packet, or check the box on Registration Form under Section G that you have already submitted a Consent to Release Confidential Information.
- If you are without scanner you can submit your consent to release information electronically as directed (see instructions for inputting consent to release information via MyPCC above), and check the box on Registration Form under Section G that you have already submitted a consent to Release Confidential Information. or
- You may submit ink-handwritten signed consent to Release Confidential Information within 10 business days of application submission in-person or mail: Attention: PCC Driver Education, SE Campus, AB 304, 2305 SE 82nd Ave, Portland OR 97216.
- Please note this in the body of your email. We will accept electronically signed /typed signatures and saved PDF registration forms, we only require ink-handwritten signature for Release of Confidential Information.
- An email will be sent by PCC within ten business days of the receipt of the registration form and will include registration status confirmation and payment instructions.