What is Students4Giving?
Students4Giving was created in September 2007 through a Campus Compact and Fidelity® Charitable Gift Fund initiative to educate and inspire a generation of engaged citizens, philanthropists, and community leaders. Portland Community College was one of five academic institutions in the nation selected to create a donor advised fund to offer grants to non-profit organizations within their communities.
- Cynthia Killingsworth, Lead Instructor
- Watch our Voice of the Students Video
- Join us on Facebook to keep up with our activities!
- Read our class blog
The Portland Community College’s Students4Giving mission is to educate students in the field of charitable giving by identifying and allocating funds to local non-profits that strive to solve social problems, have a strong impact, and demonstrate financial need. By developing sustainable relationships between students, college, non-profits, and community, the efforts of our project will create a lasting impact, beckoning in a new era of philanthropy.
This past year, PCC’s Students4Giving participants have accomplished the following:
- Students4Giving celebrated its 10th anniversary.
- Spring term participants in the Sylvania Campus Business 208: Introduction to Nonprofits and Philanthropy course selected a funding focus of “Organizations who support affordable housing and/or address housing insecurity.”
- They also required that grant recipients were “serving primarily marginalized communities in the Portland-Metro area” and the leadership, staff and volunteers of the organizations reflected “Equity and inclusion of the community being served.”
- At the end of the term, three grant recipients were selected and received funding for a total of $10,000.
- Second year of partnership with the Learning by Giving Foundation and 43 other college student philanthropy programs across the United States.
- Received a $5,000 matching grant from the Learning by Giving Foundation.
- Raised $5,000 in matching funds through contributions and used textbook donations.
How can I get involved?