Solo Business Builders
Get in touch
Make a doing what you love.
As a solopreneur you’re doing it all. From marketing to invoicing, do you ever wonder how you got into this mess? You became a solopreneur because you love what you do. But when you get bogged down in running your business, you can lose track of the passion that got you started. There’s another way.
Encore/Solo Business Builders is designed specifically for you to help you build the solopreneur business of your dreams and prevent burnout.
Through the 10 week program, you will:
- Share ideas and solve problems with fellow Encore/solopreneurs.
We’ve recently combined this program with our Encore business builders – creating classrooms with intergenerational perspective. Working as a solo entrepreneur can be lonely and isolating. You’ll meet fellow solos to learn about the keys to success and overcoming common problems. Keep yourself accountable to your goals with weekly sessions.
- Find clarity, focus on your mission.
We’ll help you clearly define your mission, services and products, and your target market. With this focus, you’ll be able to navigate through opportunities and challenges, ultimately increasing your sales.
- Refine your business model. Solopreneurs need a different business model. Learn about the Waterbug Model® and how to build a network of solopreneurs, so you can focus on doing what you love. Work smarter, not harder.
Solo Business Builders is a 10 week program, meeting once per week for a 3 hour session. But, it’s more than just a class. It includes:
- Group learning and networking to discuss challenges, exchange resources, and find solutions with peers.
- 30 hours of business education specifically designed for retail business owners taught by subject matter experts and successful local retailers. Complete the form on this page to get a detailed course outline.
- Session 1: Mission, Vision, Goals
- Session 2: Principles of Solopreneurship
- Session 3: Models of Growth for the Solo Business
- Session 4: Financial Recordkeeping
- Session 5: Pricing for Profit
- Session 6: Raising Money
- Session 7: Legal Details for Your Business
- Session 8: Branding and Sales for the Solo Business
- Session 9: Getting Your Business On the Web
- Session 10: Marketing with E-tools
- Up to 5 hours of one-on-one advising, which you can use during the course or within a 10 month period following Retail Business Builders.
- Complimentary access to “Before You Go Global,” an online course to help you start selling your products in global markets.
- Access to specialty business advisors with a wide range of expertise.
- Access to market research resources such as Southern Oregon University Market Research Institute, SBDCNet, Reference USA, MarketLink, and Euromonitor.
- 30 hours in class, divided into 10 weekly, 3-hour sessions.
- Plus, Up to 5 hours of one-on-one advising during the 10 month period following Solo Business Builders.
- Tuition is $799.
- Tuition can be paid in 5, monthly payments of $160.
- An additional person from your business can take the course for 1/2 price, $400.
- Invaluable advice from industry experts that will save you years of frustration
- Support from a network of peers and mentors
- Confidence to make the right decisions for your new business
Jackie B. Peterson is a teacher, consultant, business coach and former CPA with over 35 years of business experience. She has taught numerous business seminars, classes and workshops for clients, Portland Community College, the SBDC, as well as Pike Place Market and Oregon Coast Counsel for the Arts to name a few. Jackie’s most recent endeavor is the book Better, Smarter, Richer, 7 Business Principles for Encore, Creative and Solo Entrepreneurs which focuses on the needs of solopreneurs—the fastest growing business model for the 21st Century. Over the years, Jackie has worked with hundreds of small businesses and always encourages them to raise their prices, charge what they are worth and be able to immediately articulate their value proposition. Jackie holds a BA in Economics and a Masters in Organizational Management.
What Our Clients Say
“These services have brought clarity to the whole process of launching my own business in a more profitable direction. I appreciate the passion that the people in this program have shown to make sure that we can all succeed. I always felt the support of the SBDC advisors as well as my peers.” – Diana Zapata, Zapata Design
Upcoming Schedule for Solo Business Builders
Find the CRN of your course from the class schedule. Then, register:
- Online: If this is your first time taking a class at PCC, create an account. If you are a returning student, log on to MyPCC and click “Register for classes,” found in your Term-to-Term Checklist, under “Register”.
- Phone: Call 971-722-8888, option 2.
Questions? Contact the SBDC at email@example.com or 971-722-5080.