ENCORE/Solo Business Builders
Get in touch
Turn your experience into a rewarding small business – make a living doing what you love.
Have you ever thought about starting your own business?
Perhaps you are retired or you have been laid off, and you’re looking for some extra income, or something to keep you busy.
As a solopreneur you’re doing it all. From marketing to invoicing, do you ever wonder how you got into this mess? You became a solopreneur because you love what you do. But when you get bogged down in running your business, you can lose track of the passion that got you started. Encore Entrepreneurship is also on the rise. Never before has it been easier for 50+ individuals to monetize their knowledge, skills, and experience. Our Encore/Solo entrepreneurs program is for people of all ages – just like you!
In ENCORE/Solo Business Builders, you will:
- Learn how to manage your business more effectively
- Learn how to improve your business’s profitability
- Network with small business owners
- Gain clarity in your business
- Dedicate time to work on your business
- Work one-on-one with a business advisor
- Learn from subject-matter experts
- Take the Next Step in Building Your Business
Each week we’ll bring in subject-matter experts to teach on important areas. Sessions meet weekly for 10 weeks and are 3 hours long. ENCORE Business Builders is more than just a class. It includes:
- Group learning and networking to discuss challenges, exchange resources, and find solutions with peers. We’ve recently combined this program with our solopreneurs business builders program – creating classrooms with intergenerational perspective.
- 30 hours of classroom business education with 10 weekly, 3-hour sessions taught by subject-matter experts. Complete the form on this page to get a detailed course outline.
- Week 1: Mission, Vision, Goals
- Week 2: Principles of Solopreneurship
- Week 3: Models of Growth for the Solo Business
- Week 4: Financial Recordkeeping
- Week 5: Pricing for Profit
- Week 6: Raising Money
- Week 7: Legal Details for Your Business
- Week 8: Branding and Sales for the Solo Business
- Week 9: Getting Your Business On the Web
- Week 10: Marketing with E-tools
- Up to 5 hours of one-on-one advising during the 10 month period following ENCORE Business Builders.
- Complimentary access to “Before You Go Global,” an online course to help you start selling your products in global markets.
- Access to specialty business advisors with a wide range of expertise.
- Access to market research resources such as Southern Oregon University Market Research Institute, SBDCNet, Reference USA, MarketLink, and Euromonitor.
This program may be for you if you are:
- 50+ and seeking to create a flow of income by monetizing your knowledge, skills, and expertise.
- Retired, laid off, or downsized, and looking to supplement your retirement or support yourself.
- Seeking a job and are really discouraged. Self employment can be the answer.
- 30 hours of education divided into 10 weekly, 3 hour sessions
- Up to 5 hours of one-on-one advising during the program and the 10 month period following ENCORE Business Builders
- Expect to spend time outside of the classroom and your advising sessions to work on different aspects of your business
- Tuition for the ENCORE Business Builders program is $799
- A second person from your business can attend for $400
- Payment plans are available through PCC
- Invaluable advice from industry experts that will save you years of frustration
- Support from a network of peers and mentors
- Confidence to make the right decisions for your new business
Jackie B. Peterson is a teacher, consultant, business coach and former CPA with over 35 years of business experience. She has taught numerous business seminars, classes and workshops for clients, Portland Community College, the SBDC, as well as Pike Place Market and Oregon Coast Counsel for the Arts to name a few. Jackie’s most recent endeavor is the book Better, Smarter, Richer, 7 Business Principles for Encore, Creative and Solo Entrepreneurs which focuses on the needs of solopreneurs—the fastest growing business model for the 21st Century. Over the years, Jackie has worked with hundreds of small businesses and always encourages them to raise their prices, charge what they are worth and be able to immediately articulate their value proposition. Jackie holds a BA in Economics and a Masters in Organizational Management.
What Our Clients Say
“These services have brought clarity to the whole process of launching my own business in a more profitable direction. I appreciate the passion that the people in this program have shown to make sure that we can all succeed. I always felt the support of the SBDC advisors as well as my peers.” – Diana Zapata, Zapata Design
“Considering the ENCORE & Solo Business Builders course through SBDC/PCC? It was a great investment in my new business because:
- It kept me from making financial and time wasting mistakes (that alone paid for the course)
- It gave me a road map to follow and to which I can refer back
- It gave me structure and weekly accountability
- I have classmates who are like minded entrepreneurs who share my process and provide feedback
- It gave me weekly support and ongoing access to the Advisor and other resources
- It expanded my business and personal network
- It was a lot of fun and practical knowledge
- And, it’s tax deductible
- SO, WHY NOT?”
– Anne Hudson, The Sourceress
Upcoming Schedule for ENCORE Business Builders
Find the CRN of your course from the class schedule. Then, register:
- Online: If this is your first time taking a class at PCC, create an account. If you are a returning student, log on to MyPCC and click “Register for classes,” found in your Term-to-Term Checklist, under “Register”.
- Phone: Call 971-722-8888, option 2.
Questions? Contact the SBDC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 971-722-5080.