Clinical Evaluation: ASAM and DSM Criteria
Study ASAM Criteria 3rd Edition to attain latest requirements.
Learn clinical evaluation based on American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) Criteria (3rd Edition) to attain latest requirements. Required for anyone seeking to become a Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor (CADC), the class and CEUs are approved by ACCBO*; the Oregon governing body for CADCs and related licenses. Coursework includes applications to Adult Special Populations and Substance Use Disorders.
Knowing how to use the ASAM Criteria is a foundational and required skill for clinicians, counselors, and addictions professionals. This ASAM Criteria has been recently revised in the newest edition, The ASAM Criteria: Treatment Criteria for Addictive, Substance-Related, and Co-Occurring Conditions, 3rd Edition.
This course teaches how to use the most recent ASAM Criteria, comprised of dimensions, requirements, and decision rules that guide ongoing assessment, transfer, and discharge of clients.
* ACCBO is an affiliate of the National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors, the National Certification Commission and is a Prevention member Board of the International Certification Reciprocity Consortium on Alcohol and other Drug Abuse.
- Be able to describe the 6 assessment dimensions of the ASAM Criteria
- Be able to articulate or describe the parameters for each of the 5 broad levels of service
- Be able to understand and determine Level of Care placement
Approved by ACCBO to receive 8 CEU hours. Also counts towards initial CADC 1 hours.
Who Should Enroll.
Certified Drug Alcohol Counselors, Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Psychotherapists, Marriage and Family Therapists, Nurses, Addiction counselors, Mental Health Professionals, QMHP, and other Healthcare Professionals
Note: All NEW Oregon CADC 1 applications after July 1, 2016 must include Clinical Evaluation ASAM education hours.
Time: 1 day, 8 hours of in-class instruction.
You will earn 8 hours of professional CEUs (this will be listed on your transcript at 0.80 credits).
Nick Reguero, CADCII, LPC
Nick Reguero is a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Level 2, and a Licensed Professional Counselor. He received his MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Portland State University in June, 2014. Nick has worked in both inpatient and outpatient drug and alcohol treatment settings and is currently employed as a counselor in a Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) program at Central City Concern.
Find the CRN of your course from the class schedule. Then, register:
- Online: If this is your first time taking a class at PCC, create an account. If you are a returning student, log on to MyPCC and click “Register for classes,” found in your Term-to-Term Checklist, under “Register”.
- Phone: Call 971-722-8888, option 2.
Need help? Get detailed information on how to register.
Questions? Contact Amy Evans.