CCOG for PE 186F Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 186F
- Course Title:
- Jazz Dance I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Develop basic jazz dance skills and kinesthetic awareness in jazz dance technique.
- Identify and apply the principles of jazz dance technique and vocabulary.
- Explore and appreciate jazz dance as an art form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance, participation, and effort
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in beginning jazz dance technique.
- Written and/or practical evaluation
- Paper or project on jazz dance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Fundamental Principles of Jazz Dance Technique:
Turnout and parallel positions of the legs and feet
Body and arm positions
Jazz dance vocabulary
Safe and efficient dance techniques
Jazz Dance Class, beginning level:
Ballet based movements: plies, battements, rond de jambe
Structure of jazz dance class
Dance class etiquette
Jazz Dance Aesthetics:
Energy and dynamics of movement
Rhythmic variations and syncopation
Awareness of jazz dance styles
Demonstrate correct technique and appropriate skills in beginning jazz dance steps and combinations:
Demonstrate jazz dance steps and combinations with variations in rhythm, dynamics, levels, and direction.
Demonstrate improved control, strength, coordination, and flexibility in jazz dance.
Demonstrate ability to learn, execute, and retain jazz dance steps and combinations from visual, aural, and kinesthetic cues.
Demonstrate ability to reverse combinations.
Examine and articulate ideas about a dance performance.
Present a paper or report on jazz dance.