CCOG for PE 162P Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 162P
- Course Title:
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Expands on the knowledge, applications, and techniques used in Mixed Martial Arts I and II. Focuses on advanced-level skills including striking techniques, mitt work, grappling, and kicking. Emphasizes the use of partner practice when engaging in mat work. Required: MMA gloves and hand wraps. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to :
- Develop improved physical conditioning needed to perform mixed martial arts at an advanced level.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of MMA as a sport and as a method of developing physical fitness.
- Apply fundamental rules of engagement, strategies and tactics of MMA at an advanced level.
- Utilize proper MMA striking, footwork, kicking and grappling techniques at an advanced level.
- Engage in partner-led mat work and grappling sessions.
Understanding of MMA as a sport, physical fitness and self-defense.
Course Activities and Design
- Warm up: Dynamic stretching
- Review: Footwork, Stance, Boxing, Kickboxing
- Class workout: Exercises to promote fitness, strength, flexibility, cardiovascular fitness
- New Information: Class will learn and practice new techniques related to MMA
- Cool down and stretch
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstration of the following:
- Basic Boxing Combinations 1-6
- Kickboxing: roundhouse kick and knees
- Take downs: Double and single leg
- Ground Submissions: Rear Naked choke, Americana, Arm Bar
- Fight Fundamentals: Stance, Movement, Jab, Cross
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Fight Fundamentals
- Ground Submissions
- Ground Transition
- Ground Striking
- Take downs