CCOG for PE 124 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 124
- Course Title:
- World Dance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces traditional and popular dance forms and styles from a selection of countries and cultures. Examines and practices dance movement within a cultural context. Ethnic dances may vary by term. This course is also offered as D 170; a student who enrolls in this course a second time under either designator will be subject to the course repeat policy. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Understand basic dance skills, in particular ethnic dance forms and styles.
- Identify and demonstrate specific ethnic and/or popular dances.
- Examine and appreciate dance for its cultural and social expression.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Recognize specific ethnic dance forms and styles.
- Demonstrate traditional and/or popular dances of particular countries or cultures.
- Observe and analyze specific ethnic dance performances, dancers, and choreography.
- Create and present a report on ethnic dance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
· Dance warm-up
· Body positions
· Posture and placement
· Arm positions and movements
· Leg and foot positions and steps
· Basic rhythms in ethnic dances