CCOG for MSD 176A Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MSD 176A
- Course Title:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Identify communication strengths and weaknesses in interpersonal relationships.
- Explain the importance of using communication models in the workplace.
- Explain how specific active listening techniques can help resolve conflict situations.
- Describe how to identify and overcome barriers to communication.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstrate how to uncover an individual's communication strengths and weaknesses and describe how to turn the weakness into a strength.
- Select several communication models and list the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Describe the most effective techniques for resolving conflict.
- Describe how active listening skills impact the effectiveness of communication.
- Apply learned skills through an outside project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Given a scenario demonstrate how to resolving a conflict between two individuals.
- Explain how to identify communication weaknesses and describe a strategy for turning these weaknesses into strengths.
- Apply the elements of a communication model to a specific situation.
- Demonstrate how active listening skills influence communication.
- Create a feedback tool that identifies communication barriers and describes the steps for overcoming the barriers.
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
Creating a positive communication environment is the first step in developing effective interpersonal relationships. Emotions, listening, and understanding others’ perspectives have tremendous impact on communication effectiveness and should be taken into consideration.
Communication models contain universal elements that impact communication. Models can be used to enhance understanding in a variety of circumstances.
Personal experiences and cultural background may influence outcome of a conflict situation and need to be addressed.