CCOG for HIM 274 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- HIM 274
- Course Title:
- Quality Improvement in Healthcare Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Utilize software in the completion of quality improvement tasks.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data both internal and external to the health system.
- Analyze policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Collaborate with staff in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensure, and certification.
- Utilize data for facility-wide outcomes reporting relating to quality management and performance improvement.
- Use knowledge of medical staff policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data.
- Use appropriate graphical tools for data presentations.
- Apply the utilization review and case management processes in the revenue cycle.
- Identify discrepancies between supporting documentation and coded data.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Perform search activities using resources such as the Internet, libraries and other databases.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills by evaluating medical information and applying given criteria.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret policies and procedures and communicate outcomes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Collect data for quality management, utilization management, risk management, and other patient care related studies.
Conduct qualitative analysis on documentation in health information records.
Analyze data and compile it into a meaningful format.
Communicate the outcomes of a quality assurance evaluation to appropriate personnel in writing.
Document incidents on incident forms.