Course Content and Outcomes Guide for HE 125 Effective Summer 2021
- Course Number:
- HE 125
- Course Title:
- First Aid & Industrial Safety
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Addendum to Course Description
The purpose of this course is to develop the knowledge and skills to provide emergency care to persons injured in an accident or
stricken by sudden illness in an industrial setting. The student will learn the proper methods and procedures for applying first aid in given emergency situations. The course will also focus on the prevention of accidents and injuries in the industrial or laboratory setting, and safety regulations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
Apply working knowledge of AED technology Evaluate first aid/CPR scenarios in the classroom that simulate real-life situations and apply appropriate first
aid/CPR techniques to those scenarios
Ability to complete an MSDS sheet correctly using current industry standards.
Apply principles of machine safety to determine potential hazards and prevent them in the workplace.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Practical Skills Demonstration
Course Projects: MSDS and Machine Safety
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Recognize and use a three step plan of action in an emergency
- Assess appropriate action in a variety of adult emergency situations in industrial settings.
- Demonstrate first aid skills in a variety of emergency situations in industrial settings.
- Demonstrate appropriate and correct usage of AED technology.
- Communication skills: Oral and written communication.
THEMES, CONCEPTS, IDEAS
- Recognize and provide care for various types of respiratory and cardiac emergencies for the adult victim.
- Provide care for shock and heart attack
- Provide general care for wounds
- Recognize burn emergencies and provide care
- Understand and provide care for heat and cold emergencies.
- Recognize and provide care for sudden illness situations.
- Recognize and provide care for bone and joint injuries.
- Understand appropriate use of AED technology.
- Understand principles of machine safety
- Demonstrate how to analyze a MSDS sheet
- Apply universal precautions to prevent disease transmission