CCOG for ECE 170 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 170
- Course Title:
- Coaching and Mentoring in Early Education and Family Studies
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 – 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
Articulate the role of coaching and mentoring in the professional development of early childhood practitioners and the creation of quality early childhood settings.
Articulate plans for coaching and mentoring other professionals in a variety of settings and with a variety of professional goals.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete written observations and assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Role and importance of coaching and mentoring in early education and family studies.
- Characteristics of effective coaches and mentors.
- Characteristics and needs of developing teachers and providers (characteristics and needs of adult learners).
- Building relationships between coaches/mentors and protégés.
- Skills for effective coaching and mentoring.
- Problem solving and dealing with difficult dynamics.
- Coaches and mentors as leaders and advocates.