CCOG for HIM 283 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- HIM 283
- Course Title:
- Health Information Systems
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces the history and current status of information systems in healthcare, including information architectures, administrative and clinical applications, evidence-based medicine, information retrieval, decision support systems, security and confidentiality, bioinformatics, information system cycles, the electronic health record, key health information systems and standards, and medical devices. Covers strategies and tools to insure the development and selection of health information systems. Explores the role of healthcare information and communication technologies in healthcare delivery including their role in improving the quality, safety and efficiency of healthcare delivery. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply system security policies according to departmental and organizational data and information standards.
- Explain policies and procedures of networks, including intranet and Internet to facilitate clinical and administrative applications.
- Explain the process used in the selection and implementation of health information management systems.
- Utilize health information to support enterprise-wide decision support for strategic planning.
- Explain usability and accessibility of health information by patients, including current trends and future challenges.
- Apply confidentiality, privacy and security measures and policies and procedures for internal and external use and the exchange to protect electronic health information.
- Explain current trends and future challenges in health information exchange.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Research and evaluate a current health information management technology and make recommendations on whether to purchase it.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- systems analysis design, development and implement principles
- healthcare facility organization
- general systems principles
- critical thinking