CCOG for CG 58 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- CG 58
- Course Title:
- Math Literacy Success
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Develop identity as individuals who can successfully learn math concepts.
- Identify and employ strategies (i.e. test taking, study schedule, learning styles, etc) to prepare for and succeed in math courses.
- Recognize impact of attitudinal and emotional responses, motivation, and anxiety to math.
Course Activities and Design
Outcome 1: Develop identity as individuals who can successfully learn math concepts.
1.Explore concept of “math identity”
2.Identify negative internalized beliefs around math and success in math courses/careers
3.Develop ways to create a positive “math identity”
Outcome 2: Identify and employ strategies (i.e. test taking, study schedule, learning styles, etc) to prepare for and succeed in Math courses.
1.Create a math study schedule
2.Track hours spent on math study and homework, rate level of concentration and comprehension for each study session
3.Procrastination reduction strategies activity
4.Develop test preparation plan and strategies
Outcome 3: Increase awareness and impact of attitudinal and emotional responses, including motivation to math.
1.Administer pre and post assessment focused on thoughts, feelings, images, and attitudes towards math.
2.Weekly journals on attitudinal and emotional responses to math.
3.Engage in ways to shift thoughts in order to increase calmness and confidence in regard to math.
4.Apply self-regulated learning concepts.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Administer pre and post assessment focused on thoughts, feelings, images, and attitudes towards math and science.
- Identify effective math study strategies and create personal math study plan.
- Create math study schedule and approach to organizing math study sessions.
- Write weekly journals on attitudinal and emotional responses to math.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Effective study strategies for math
Negative attitudes and thoughts about math
Identify negative internal beliefs
Create math study schedules
Develop test preparation plans/strategies
Apply learning concepts in math course work