CCOG for APR 250C Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- APR 250C
- Course Title:
- Basic Hands on Training for the Trades
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Use common construction hand and power tools in the workplace or in future course work.
- Apply OSHA standards to the safe use of common construction hand and power tools in the workplace or in future coursework
- Plan, lay out materials for, and perform basic construction that could include wood framing, electrical wiring, sheet metal duct installation, plumbing, masonry installation, and finish work.
Course Activities and Design
The course design is minimal lecture augmented by hands-on construction activities, with as much use of hand and power tools as possible within in the four hour lecture/lab time period. Emphasis on safety will always be in the forefront of all lab activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Because this course has limited enrollment for safety considerations and because lecture lab sessions are four hours long , Instructors will be able to use a written check off lab sheet and observe the individual performances of students. Instructors will observe, check, and document that each student has completed a project while using the tools correctly and safely.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Use hand and power tools to a selection of activities
- frame wood walls
- frame wood floors
- frame wood roofs
- lay out and shear sheet metal
- plumb using copper pipe
- plumb using PVC pipe
- lay brick
- finish a small concrete project
- wire lights, appliances, and receptacles to NEC code
- install and finish wallboard.