CCOG for SPA 102 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- SPA 102
- Course Title:
- First Year Spanish - Second Term
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Manage common interactions, in both oral and written forms, in predictable settings using the present and beginning work in the past tense.
2. Apply circumlocution and inference skills, at a beginning level, when navigating selected real world situations in Spanish.
3. Identify a limited range of linguistic and cultural diversity within the Spanish-speaking world and how it differs and/or relates to one’s own culture.
4. Apply a limited understanding of selected historical and cultural movements in the target culture through exposure to literature, art and performing
arts in the target language.
5. Apply some strategies for analyzing authentic materials in the target language.
Course Activities and Design
After the introduction to the course, Spanish will be used in the classroom at all times.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
1. Active participation in class
2. Individual and group presentations
3. Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading,
writing, cultural, and aural competencies
4. Oral interviews with partner or instructor
5. In class, interactive student role-plays
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Include all or most of the following:
1. Pastimes and sports
2. Places in a city
3. Present tense of stem-changing verbs
4. Verbs with an irregular yo
5. Travel and vacations
6. Months, seasons and weather
7. Ordinal numbers
8. Describing conditions and emotions
9. Direct Object Pronouns
10. Uses of the verbs Ser and Estar
11. Clothing and shopping
12. Uses of the verbs Saber and Conocer
13. Indirect object pronouns
14. the past tense (preterit)
15. Demonstrative adjectives and pronouns
Competencies and Skills
1. Manages very basic interactions in shops, domestic
settings, travel related environments
2. Discusses preferences for leisure activities
3. Expands on ability to speak of the present
5. Follows basic directions
6. Recognizes cultural and linguistic differences in the Spanish-
7. Formulates questions and answers..
8. Identifies and names people and objects..
9. Writes strings of sentences
10. Reads and understands the main ideas in simple texts
11. Comprehends slow native speech in a highly contextual setting