Course Content and Outcomes Guide for PE 291A Effective Fall 2020
- Course Number:
- PE 291A
- Course Title:
- Lifeguard Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides instruction and training required to become an American Red Cross (ARC) lifeguard. Includes training in CPR, AED, and first aid for the professional rescuer. Provides ARC certification in Lifeguarding and CPR-AED for the professional rescuer upon successful completion. Requires ARC swim screening test on the first day of class. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
In addition, an American Red Cross “CPR for the Professional Rescuer” certificate will be awarded on successful completion.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Utilize ARC certifications in Lifeguarding and CPR-AED-First Aid for the Professional Rescuer, to apply lifesaving and lifeguarding skills in the aquatics environment.
- Apply for lifeguarding positions, utilizing knowledge of current lifeguard employment opportunities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written quizzes and examinations
- In–water and on-deck skills assessments
- Attendance, participation, and practice records.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Professional lifeguarding
- Injury prevention
- Facility safety
- Patron surveillance
- Emergency preparation
- Rescue skills
- Breathing and cardiac emergencies
- First aid
- Caring for head, neck, and back injuries
- Basic precautions in disease prevention
- Understand the characteristics, benefits, and responsibilities of a professional lifeguard.
- Perform various in-water rescues
- Demonstrate modified swimming approaches and water entries
- Perform on-deck rescue skills including CPR, first aid, and in-line stabilization.
- Describe injury prevention concepts such as rules enforcement, patron education, and safety checks
- Demonstrate in-water spinal injury management techniques
- Perform victim recognition, and scanning skills
- Describe proper steps in emergency response