CCOG for PE 287 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 287
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Aquatics
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Explores fitness instruction and leadership in the field of aquatics. Incorporates principles of hydrodynamics and exercise to achieve total fitness. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Describe aquatic fitness career and training opportunities.
- Apply knowledge of exercise science and hydrodynamics to aquatic exercise.
- Model quality aquatic instruction principles when teaching aquatic exercise to clients.
- Design and implement aquatic exercise programming.
- Utilize and enhance aquatic programming and teaching strategies learned through critical analysis of professionals in the industry.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written research assignments
- Written quizzes and examinations
- Program write-ups
- Teaching demonstrations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Aquatic certification and employment opportunities
- Target heart rate in an aquatics environment
- Exercise physiology in an aquatic setting (cardiovascular response, thermoregulation, special populations)
- Industry safety issues, standards, legal/liability issues (special populations/pool environment)
- Hydrodynamics and teaching in the water (differences from land)
- Aquatic exercise lesson plans and teaching demonstrations
- Benefits of water exercise
- Aquatic teaching styles, methods, and class program and content
- Principles of fitness including warm-up, cool down, stretching, training modes, intensity, etc.
- Music and equipment selection
- AEA and industry standards for aquatic programming and implementation