CCOG for PE 283 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 283
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Mind-Body Disciplines
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Practice and apply teaching skills in a variety of mind body disciplines, including but not limited to: mindfulness, meditation, breath practices, relaxation, focus and stress-reduction techniques, yoga, Pilates, tai chi and qi gong.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Design and implement mind-body programs in the fitness industry.
- Apply effective teaching strategies in mind-body instruction.
- Apply motivational strategies to promote participation in mind-body practices.
- Explore current trends and employment opportunities for mind-body instruction in the fitness industry.
In personal and professional settings, recognize and apply the values and benefits of a variety of mind body practice techniques to improve physical, mental, social and emotional health and wellbeing.
Course Activities and Design
This course includes activities focused on mind body and mindfulness exercises and techniques. Student activities emphasize teaching and leadership in mind body disciplines.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Performance review
- Critiques of Practice Teaching
- Written Assignments
- Research Project
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice techniques for a variety of Mind-body disciplines
- Mind-body disciplines and their effect on health and well-being
- Mind-body connection as related to health and wellness
- Mind-body leadership in fitness classes and other professional settings
- Teaching styles and methods in Mind-body disciplines
- Benefits of Mind-body movement education and practice techniques
- Safety considerations when practicing and instructing Mind-body techniques
- Traditional and contemporary perspectives and applications in Mind-body disciplines
- Mind-body vocabulary
- Music and equipment selection in Mind-body classes
- Mind-body certification opportunities
- Mind-body employment opportunities