CCOG for PE 184Q Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 184Q
- Course Title:
- Meditation: Mind-Body Fitness II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Expands and deepens the meditation experience and focuses on a variety of techniques and methods for actively meditating. Emphasizes the overall value and benefits of a meditation practice for reduced stress, postural and breath awareness, increased relaxation, overall wellness, and mind-body fitness. Explores mindfulness, concentration, stillness, and meditation techniques to improve the mental aspects of fitness, sport, and competition. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe methods used for mindfulness and meditation.
- Apply meditation techniques and mindful practice into daily living.
- Practice the mind-body connection as it relates to physical conditioning and competition.
- Integrate safe and enjoyable meditative activities into an overall lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
Course Activities and Design
- Students will perform various meditative and mindfulness practices both in individual and group settings by building on previous teaching and understanding from Meditation I.
- Students will practice daily meditative and mindfulness based practices.
- Students will use meditative and mindfulness based practices to improve physical conditioning and competition.
- Students will learn proper techniques, postures, and movement to enhance overall lifelong fitness, health and wellness program.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Journal entries.
- Discussion forums and class participation.
- Research a topic on meditation and mindfulness.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Breathing Techniques
- Mindfulness Eating
- Visual Imagery: Using visual imagery to enhance performance and wellbeing.
- Body Scanning: Using body related mindfulness practice for healing and wellbeing