CCOG for PE 182C Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 182C
- Course Title:
- Walking for Fitness I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Student provides appropriate sport clothing activity. Sport shoes designed for walking are required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply the components of an effective physical fitness program, utilizing walking as the primary activity.
- Improve physical conditioning by participating in a regular walking program.
- Perform basic fitness walking techniques.
- Apply proper technique to set pacing for safe and effective walking for fitness.
- Recognize/develop skills for holistic health
Understand how walking promotes psychological well-being
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs/participation
- Personal program records
- Written assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Warm-ups, cool-downs
- Target heart rate zone training
- Perceived rate of exertion technique
- Pace/speed setting for walking
- Components of fitness
- Appreciation and benefits of lifelong fitness
- Safety concepts
- Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
- Demonstrate correct exercises for individual program
- Apply components of fitness to beginning levels
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate walking levels
- Alter exercise choices for special weather and physical conditions
- Understand muscle charts in selecting appropriate /walking fitness endurance & flexibility exercises